Random questions/comments Thread.

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

TheWatcher
Reactions:

Re: Random questions/comments Thread.

Post by TheWatcher »

Boom Boom.

I'm with my panto hero/villian.

You can't knock people for injustice if somethin' else is going on.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

Good people questioned.
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:

Post by Tad_Cooper »

Mott1 wrote:Why does every celebrity chef think everyone wants their steak pink in the middle?

Jamie Oliver's the latest, on channel 4. We don't all like it medium rare - for me it has to be well done.
It's just acknowledged to be the optimum way of cooking for flavour and texture.

I'm not a fan either, the very thought of pink meat is nauseating.

Look at it this way, if you made a recipe for toast it'd probably say to stop cooking when it's golden brown. That doesn't mean that it's wrong to love burnt toast (as I do), or toast that looks like a piece of bread saw the toaster and ran away, however I doubt anyone would make a recipe that said 'cook the toast until it's a charred black colour and your kitchen is on fire'.

This post was brought to you by the 'fight back against trendy veganism' coalition. ;)
Mott1
Reactions:

Post by Mott1 »

Tad_Cooper wrote:
Mott1 wrote:Why does every celebrity chef think everyone wants their steak pink in the middle?

Jamie Oliver's the latest, on channel 4. We don't all like it medium rare - for me it has to be well done.
It's just acknowledged to be the optimum way of cooking for flavour and texture.

I'm not a fan either, the very thought of pink meat is nauseating.

Look at it this way, if you made a recipe for toast it'd probably say to stop cooking when it's golden brown. That doesn't mean that it's wrong to love burnt toast (as I do), or toast that looks like a piece of bread saw the toaster and ran away, however I doubt anyone would make a recipe that said 'cook the toast until it's a charred black colour and your kitchen is on fire'.

This post was brought to you by the 'fight back against trendy veganism' coalition. ;)
Nice analysis! I tend to find that, when it comes to eating steak in restaurants, there's a sliding scale of 'done-ness'. So if you order it well done you end up with medium rare, if you order it medium you get rare, if you order it rare you get blue etc...
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:

Post by Tad_Cooper »

Mott1 wrote:
Tad_Cooper wrote:
Mott1 wrote: Nice analysis! I tend to find that, when it comes to eating steak in restaurants, there's a sliding scale of 'done-ness'. So if you order it well done you end up with medium rare, if you order it medium you get rare, if you order it rare you get blue etc...
People who eat blue steak need to have a word with themselves. Why bother even cooking it, just bite a cow!

But yes, I find that too.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

When I was a meat eater, I'd go blue or rare only with top quality hung beef i.e. not stuff you buy in the supermarket.

The local saltmarsh grazing cattle produce some of the most flavorful meat in the country, so charcoal-ing it to death would have been flavour rape.
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:

Post by Tad_Cooper »

That's probably good health & safety advice too. Lots of restaurants seem to serve burgers rare which is against guidelines due to the grade of the meat.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

When I was a meat eater, I'd just bite people.

Surprised to learn that Seal is a Veggie/Vegan. I thought most rage came from red meat...
Are you injected with highly concentrated meat derivatives, like Hitler?
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

Seal likes a bit of white meat. Or so I've heard.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

Ahem as they say.