The Labour Party

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

The Seal
Reactions:

The Labour Party

Post by The Seal »

Seeing as Rani is back and will probably post in the political section....

Just what is the point of Labour right now? They can't oppose to save their lives, the leadership candidates are a shambles, and the party appears to be bifurcating ideologically into two camps - both unelectable.

Sad to say that a choice between a Tory light i.e pragmatic, but vapid Murdoch cocksucking bitch of a party, and a Trotskyist one, is rather like being asked to choose between a turd and a coprolite.

Labour are finished. This country needs a proper social democratic party.
MistressRani
Reactions:

Re: The Labour Party

Post by MistressRani »

I'm one of the few people who thought Milliband did a decent job of leading the party and I think recent events are proving this. No one could probably have won the 2015 election for Labour outright. He was intelligent, thoughtful and progressive but lacked the confidence to be bold on economic policy as well as lacking that media presence.

As for the future, I won't be voting Corbyn as he can't win the general election but I'm not inspired by the lack of vision in any of the others.
Rebutting Rob's ridiculous rantings since 2004
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

Miliband the campaigner was somewhat better than Miliband the opposition leader, I'll grant you that.

It still leaves questions about the Labour strategy towards the coalition, the lack of a clear and coherent vision for the party, the acquiescing to Tory lines about the supposed legacy/mess of the last Labour government and consequent inability to enthuse or get in tune with the public.
MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

I agree, they just didn't rebut the line that Labour had spent too much on the public sector and what little they did was inadequate. The Tory line of "maxing out the credit card" was intellectually fraudulent but was a simple message that resonated with the public. Labour's responsibility lay in giving the banks too much freedom before the crash but of course the Tories wanted to give them even more.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

The Tories have been excellent at distilling their lies into catchy soundbites or doublespeak.

I'd never thought 'cutting' and 'helping' were potential synonyms until I'd heard IDS a few times.
MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Cuts have also become "savings" http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-y ... euphemisms, at least in a short term sense. How the Labour party moves on to challenge the Tories I really don't know.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

I believe Rob has a solution to that.
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -live.html

It's a sad state of affairs the fact that if Labour were to become a half-decent party again, it would make them 'unelectable'.
Perhaps, the reason I still vehemently despise Thatcher, even though the creature is dead and gone, is that ideologically, she still won in the long run, because the Labour party is unelectable if they oppose too strongly, or offer too much of an alternative. It's all shades of grey now.
Mott1
Reactions:

Post by Mott1 »

I think the Ed-stone was a mistake, and he never quite took back the initiative over the fear of the SNP.

And the labour leadership election is taking too bloody long - it's history repeating itself, losing Labour any initiative over the economy and clashes with Scotland/Europe. Even what remains of my party (the Lib Dems) has sorted a leader out - the Tories are getting a free ride!
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »