Joe Rogan

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Rawkus
Reactions:

Joe Rogan

Post by Rawkus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9VYf9FKHo

Not a fan of Joe, generally speaking, but his guest here talks about call-out culture and makes some good points. Some of them are a bit US-centric.

Are we heading this way, will things change any time soon?
TheBowieDoctor
Reactions:

Re: Joe Rogan

Post by TheBowieDoctor »

I like him and listen to his podcast on a very regular basis.

Admittedly, i'm intrigued as to how, or if, his recent $100million windfall from Spotify will impact his show from September and onwards.

Will he have the same journalistic freedom? More? Less? YouTube is becoming increasingly draconian, but Spotify? Time will tell.
Mike
Supreme Dalek
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

Is this the guy who got baked with Elon Musk?
Es gibt kein richtiges Leben im falschen.
- Theodor W. Adorno
DogStar2000
Reactions:

Post by DogStar2000 »

Mike wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:13 pm
Is this the guy who got baked with Elon Musk?
Yes :lol:
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

TheBowieDoctor wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:40 am
I like him and listen to his podcast on a very regular basis.

Admittedly, i'm intrigued as to how, or if, his recent $100million windfall from Spotify will impact his show from September and onwards.

Will he have the same journalistic freedom? More? Less? YouTube is becoming increasingly draconian, but Spotify? Time will tell.
I am sure it will be equal. He didn't seem constrained by YT and I am not sure how he could have more, but you wouldn't get a star player and then muzzle them. That's daft and I think he will have considered it if it is important to him.

I just don't get why people beyond his fan base feel this is significant. I don't doubt his popularity, that's self-evident.

I am just lamenting the death of traditional media, I suppose.
TheBowieDoctor
Reactions:

Post by TheBowieDoctor »

Traditional media has been dead for a long time.

This is coming from someone who was born in 1990.

Example: video games. I can pinpoint the exact time when the industry moved toward a licencing driven means of distribution - Half Life 2. That was the first game, at least the first ever game I owned, that mandated the use of Steam. The disc I received literally meant nothing since all updates and running of the game was exclusively through STEAM. While I can play it offline, it's all at the behest of the developer. In 2020, we now have Denuvo.

Much the same can be said for music when you elect to sign up for Spotify where you are licenced to access music, not own a copy. That's why I still purchase CDs these days and convert them to MP3.