Quitting the Internet for a while

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

ClockworkOcean
Reactions:

Quitting the Internet for a while

Post by ClockworkOcean »

Just being exposed to the endless stream of hatred, bigotry, derangement and groupthink that social media - and everything influenced by it - has devolved into is having a deleterious impact on my mental health. A dangerous combination of information overload, addiction and mob bullying has destroyed the capacity of many to think for themselves, and the impact this has had on political discourse, art, entertainment, the mental health of young people, and culture more broadly is depressing in the extreme. I find my outlook on life becoming increasingly paranoid, bitter and nihilistic the more of it I'm exposed to.

I just need to put some distance between myself and current affairs for a while. Immerse myself in simpler times and relearn how to relax. To that end, I'm leaving the Internet entirely for a few months. At least until I develop the self-control to engage with it on my own terms. If you see me online at any point before September, please tell me to fuck off.

All the best,
Clockwork
Ludders
Reactions:

Re: Quitting the Internet for a while

Post by Ludders »

Why not just quit social media and stick around the forum?
Don't take this the wrong way; you've gotta do what you've gotta do, and I sympathise; but I just don't get the all or nothing approach....
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

I concur with Ludders. I've never been one for social media anyway - unless you count YouTube - but just stay away from the stuff that pisses you off. Limitation rather than amputation, if you will. ;)
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

I’m in agreement with Ludders and iank.

This forum is a very healthy place with people you have gotten to know over several years. No need to cut yourself of from a positive source of interaction over the toxic waste land most social media sites have become.

Fuck em I say. Come here and be yourself.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Total abstinence improves self-control and leads to increased contentedness according to several studies. I think CO is making the right move and support his decision. If it makes him happier then it will be worth it. The downside is when expectations are too unrealistic. I think several months is something that should be worked up to.

Good luck, Clockwork.
ClockworkOcean
Reactions:

Post by ClockworkOcean »

Thanks everyone. The last few weeks have helped me to regain some perspective. I'm mildly autistic, and my obsessive tendencies can get dangerously out of control if I'm not careful, which the lockdown situation hasn't exactly helped with. I'll still post on the forum, but probably more sporadically than I did before.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

ClockworkOcean wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:46 am
Thanks everyone. The last few weeks have helped me to regain some perspective. I'm mildly autistic, and my obsessive tendencies can get dangerously out of control if I'm not careful, which the lockdown situation hasn't exactly helped with. I'll still post on the forum, but probably more sporadically than I did before.
I think I will too. I’ve drifted a little over the last few weeks when it comes to posting here, albeit for different reasons. I’ve had a few stressful situations within the family occur last month and felt obliged to switch off from here and indeed other social media outlets in order to properly relax, though I’ve eased back into it over time. I’ll still stick around and post here, although not as avidly or frequently as I once did.