What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

The Seal
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by The Seal »

3-5 are excellent, and probably the most consistent era of the show. 8&9 seem to be the nadir for me.

Don't get me wrong, they're still really watchable and entertaining, but the amount of exposition going on just signposts that the whole thing is about to come to a halt.

It was the end, and I wasn't prepared for the moment. :D
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »

The Seal wrote:3-5 are excellent, and probably the most consistent era of the show. 8&9 seem to be the nadir for me.

Don't get me wrong, they're still really watchable and entertaining, but the amount of exposition going on just signposts that the whole thing is about to come to a halt.

It was the end, and I wasn't prepared for the moment. :D
I get where you're coming from. I just really liked Doggett and Reyes. Probably more so than Mulder and Scully. (Heresy!) :D
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

Hmm, Reyes, hmmmm! ;)
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »

The Seal wrote:Hmm, Reyes, hmmmm! ;)
:lol:

I always struggled to appreciate Duchovny's acting abilities. To put it diplomatically. ;) He was a barrier for me until the storylines really took off.
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

Mulder is a bit of a wet lettuce, I think mostly because as an actor he lacks a bit of charisma. Enjoying so far, but the X-Files cliches are a bit repetitive.

Eg, Mulder, when arriving at a crime scene, why not let Scully go first and see the flippin' weird happenings for a change!
It's getting to the level of those pantomime scenes where the ghosts are dancing around but hide every time someone turns around.

I know it would kind of ruin the tension but sometimes it's just so flippin' blatant!
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »

Ladylusiphur wrote:Mulder is a bit of a wet lettuce, I think mostly because as an actor he lacks a bit of charisma.
Exactly. And he's not exactly done a lot since, Not that I've noticed anyway.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

There are worse actors than Duchovny.

He's not the best, but he was certainly decent enough to convey the vulnerabilities in Mulder's psyche. It also helps when you have good material.

He does have a rather languid NY accent though, which sometimes makes him sound like a major stoner trying to explain conspiracy theories and the limits of the universe.
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

Wayne wrote:
Ladylusiphur wrote:Mulder is a bit of a wet lettuce, I think mostly because as an actor he lacks a bit of charisma.
Exactly. And he's not exactly done a lot since, Not that I've noticed anyway.
He was in 'Aquarius' recently. Pretty much gave the same performance though!

In the X-Files he does come across as a nutter. Gillian Anderson is much more engaging with Scully's 'sceptical but willing to be convinced' persona. She might appeal more because that's generally my own take on these things though.

I don't get why the Pentagon don't just give Mulder a job in one of these top secret alien testing labs to shut him up though. He's more trouble to them trying to keep him out!
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

Ladylusiphur wrote:I don't get why the Pentagon don't just give Mulder a job in one of these top secret alien testing labs to shut him up though. He's more trouble to them trying to keep him out!
Because he is afflicted with a conscience.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

X Files was great, though it did go downhill toward the end (Season 9 is a joke). Duchovny was terrific ; although I didn't mind Patrick at first his intense severity did start getting rather tiresome eventually and I really started to miss Duchovny's humour and lightness of touch. Mm, after The X Files he went straight into another successful long-running series (Californication) and as Lady notes just did Aquarius too so he seems to have done pretty well for himself to me. ;)