What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by Adam Ant Driver »

Yeah, Lake Mungo gets a lot of love and you know it's only because of THAT scene and even that isn't great. The rest of the movie has nothing going for it. I did like House of the Devil and The Innkeepers. They're slow burners with lots of atmosphere and don't rely on jumpscares.

As for what I'm watching on DVD, I'm still on season 3 on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, somewhere in The X-Files boxset, somewhere in 24 and a few episodes into Battlestar Galactica and The Wire. I also have all Harry Potter movies and still haven't seen past the fifth. The lessons I take away from that are:
1. I need to watch one thing at a time instead of jumping around and losing my place.
2. I shouldn't have bought Harry Potter and have no idea why I did. I can't finish any book after the third and didn't even enjoy those. Everything about the universe is shit. Worst part is I was even stupid enough to double dip and buy the final 2 films in 3D as well as having them in the 8 film set. :oops:
For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
_liam_
Admin
Reactions:

Post by _liam_ »

series one of the wire was superb. second didnt really grab me but ill give it another go someday

breaking bad is still the champ!
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

About to finish season 3 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and I'm surprised at how brutal the show is getting. I read it gets more mature as it goes but I didn't think I'd be seeing a Clonetrooper get cut in half by a door.
_liam_ wrote:series one of the wire was superb. second didnt really grab me but ill give it another go someday

breaking bad is still the champ!
Better than The Sopranos? :? Bold Statement. Season 5 really let Breaking Bad down in my opinion. It started to get silly in season 3 with the Terminator twins and went full cartoon when Gus became Two-Face but it was still entertaining. Think the train robbery episode and Ozymandias were the only episodes I enjoyed out of the final season. Better Call Saul is solid though, check that out if you haven't already seen it.
For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Wow, a less than gushing opinion of Breaking Bad!
To be honest, I watched like the first two episodes and went "uh, okay... not interested in five years of this".
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

You made the right call. Like I said it's enjoyable for the most part but objectively it turns to shit fast.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

OK, I've been watching 'Bottom' again, and aside from the occasional arrest, I've enjoyed it.

For all it's reputation as "frying pan in the face" television which it undeniably is, it's got a fair bit of Hancock in there...
"Culture" being a stand out ep for that. But Rik has certainly seen Hancock by that time - innit marvellous.
burrunjor
Reactions:

Post by burrunjor »

TheWatcher wrote:OK, I've been watching 'Bottom' again, and aside from the occasional arrest, I've enjoyed it.

For all it's reputation as "frying pan in the face" television which it undeniably is, it's got a fair bit of Hancock in there...
"Culture" being a stand out ep for that. But Rik has certainly seen Hancock by that time - innit marvellous.
NO ONE can make me laugh as much as Rik and Ade. Bottom is probably their greatest work, but I love the political satire of the Young Ones.

Still the violent bits in Bottom never fail to crack me up.

Hancock was a huge influence on Bottom. Ade even says on his website that he is amazed they weren't sued. The one on the Ferris Wheel is the best IMO.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

Doesn't get any better than 'Gas' for me.

Just the ultimate episode of Bottom. Brian Glover is fantastic as Mr. Rottweiler.
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

s' up and s' out are my favourite episodes. Gas is also great. With a show like Bottom it's probably easier to try and list episodes you don't like than pick favourites.

I'm currently planning a Bottom series 4 comic series if any of you want to help. I've tried some test sketches and they've all been awful so far so that's my biggest area of concern. I might just see if I can get someone to volunteer for that.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Fuck yer Game of Thrones and yer Breaking Bads, the best show of the 2010s is Person of Interest. Just finished the final season and it was fucking epic. :D