What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Out of Time (1988)

Finally! I've been looking for this movie for over three years. It was the one Rebecca Schaeffer film I hadn't seen and I discovered it on YouTube (which was apparently uploaded in November although I could swear it wasn't there a few months ago) yesterday.

Rebecca looks great in the film. She's more beautiful in My Sister Sam and Class Struggles and I do prefer her hair curly (like she has it in my profile picture), but I still like her hair a lot in this film.

The film itself is disappointing. In fact, aside from a few cool time travel elements I would say that Rebecca Schaeffer is the only good thing about it. She acts everyone off the stage including the irritating Bill Maher and a miscast Adam Ant as the poorly developed villain. Rebecca does well with the stale dialogue and adds a lot of her own cute traits to her character. Picture quality is poor because it was taped from the original broadcast. It gets a 4/10 from me although I would watch it again simply for Rebecca. Honestly, I wasn't watching it for any other reason to begin with.

No, I didn't watch it on DVD. I was originally going to post this on the "decent films" thread, but that's far from the case and I couldn't find a general movies thread. Michael Mann's "Manhunter" is scheduled for tonight and then maybe another Schaeffer flick to keep me company during the early hours. I better get some shut eye.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Some more Rebecca films.

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989)

This is my least favourite Rebecca movie. She is perfection as always, but the movie is too cold and smutty for my liking. Her screen time is also limited which is a real shame. I cherish her performance and she's beyond stunning in the film. Sometimes it's hard to believe such a person ever existed at all. In my mind she was so much greater than a human, more like an angel chilling out on Earth for a bit and then returning to the heavens.

The End of Innocence (1990)

I watched some of this one last night. This is the last Rebecca film ever to be released. Sadly she only appeared in the first ten minute. I remember the first time I put this on and expecting her to be in the entire thing and feeling incredibly upset when her character "grew up" and was replaced by Dyan Cannon. It wasn't a bad little film, though. Her performance was very memorable and highlights just funny and captivating she was. Such a beauty.

Next up will be "Voyage of Terror: The Achille Lauro Affair," a made for television film about the famous hijacking of an Italian cruise by men from the ‎Palestine Liberation Front in 1985. It's probably her best film. My Sister Sam is far superior to any of the movies she was in. Obviously she would have been a goddess of the 1990s and would have landed many great roles in Hollywood.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Season 4 of Vice still.

"Love at First Sight"

This episode doesn't quite hit the heights of "Death and the Lady," but It's a pretty solid effort all the same. A member of a video dating agency is killing her dates, sometimes even mutilating them. Sonny, already signed up, investigates by going on dates with various women that get in touch with him. Sonny is similar in appearance to the murder victims and it's only a matter of time before he gets a call from the serial killer...

I really like this one despite Iman's poor performance as the serial killer. Don Johnson's direction is dynamic and cool, opting for the famous POV technique to give us a glimpse of the killer without actually showing her. The use of "Madness Of It All" during a Testarossa night drive montage is effective and iconic and the dark atmosphere is enhanced by Jon Peterson's unsettling score. Top ten stuff? I don't know, maybe not. It wouldn't look out of place just outside, though.

8.5/10

I love this montage. So magical and relaxing, but also bittersweet. Sadly a product of a time long gone.

iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

My Wicked Science season 2 DVD has finally arrived!

Three months since I first ordered it...  :roll:
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Just watched the pilot of recently purchased Michael Mann's series 'Crime Story', which I remember watching as a kid late at night...excellent stuff.
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Wicked Science: The Flies. The season 1 finale saw Toby de-genius both Elizabeth and himself, but left open that the latter still had the information on how to turn herself back. Season 2 picks up with everything apparently as it was, only to reveal that Elizabeth has already done so, and before long things are getting out of control . This is a fun, if unremarkable, start to season 2 that's just concerned with getting back to business as usual and setting up some new characters. Dina has gone (yay! She's supposedly moved away, but I like to think Elizabeth has her in a cage somewhere and occasionally pokes her with a stick)  and Toby has a new gal pal in Sasha. Making her his cousin is a clever move, giving them a pre-established relationship but removing any of that weird pseudo-romantic vibe he had with Dina (and, for obvious reasons, any of the jealousy Elizabeth had toward their relationship). Interestingly, Elizabeth seems slightly different already; I'm not sure if it's the writing or just Bridget's performance, but she seems to be having a bit more fun and be a little less perpetually angry and stressed (she doesn't even yell at Verity or even Garth once the whole episode lol), while still clearly being vulnerable where Toby's concerned. An enjoyable beginning to a new season. 
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Biroc the Tharil wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:33 am
Just watched the pilot of recently purchased Michael Mann's series 'Crime Story', which I remember watching as a kid late at night...excellent stuff.
Michael Mann is a genius.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Season 4 finale of Miami Vice. Sonny loses his memory after an explosion and becomes a dangerous killer. Tubbs is hot on his trail when he discovers that Sonny didn't die in the explosion, but realizes the hard way that Sonny just isn't Sonny anymore:

Thankfully he was wearing a vest.

I really love this one. I'm not a big fan of the other two "Burnett" episodes, the ones that kick off the dreary Season 5. This one however is an excellent episode of the show. Jan Hammer reworks a lot of his best themes for his final contribution to the series and Don Johnson really gets a chance to show off his incredible acting ability as an amnesia sufferer. This episode also has the best cliffhanger ending ever:

The last really great episode of the show sadly.

10/10
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 am
Biroc the Tharil wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:33 am
Michael Mann is a genius.
Agreed...I'd completely forgotten he had any involvement in this, yet when I saw the Mann Productions sign off after the credits, I remember that with total clarity from seeing it 30 years ago..!
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Having re-watched 'Lost Highway' and 'Mulholland Drive', on to the first episodes of 'Twin Peaks'. On to ep 5. It's great stuff overall, goes well with the Talisker.