What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

iank
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by iank »

Wicked Science: Fever. When Elizabeth catches a cold, the virus not only has a bizarre impact on her genius "flashes" but also begins to accelerate at a dangerous rate - and Toby is forced into a desperate race against time to save the life of his best frenemy. This is a really good episode, with some genuine high emotion and great character stuff for both leads. It's interesting that the episode again brings up the "flashes=compulsion" notion that Toby brought up toward the end of last season, here amusingly forcing Elizabeth to do nice things for people even though she doesn't really want to. More interesting is Toby's suggestion that it's just tapping into a side of her she's repressed, and specifically bringing up what she was like pre-accident. Elizabeth dismisses her former persona as "weak", but Toby insists not everyone thought that. It's a pretty creepy idea that what's happened to them has actually affected their personalities, and while Toby implying that he liked her shy, introverted pre-genius self is a nice sentiment, you can't help but think "well maybe you should have acted like that then!" Elizabeth's complete faith and trust in Toby's ability and willingness to save her is quite sweet, if unsurprising, but Toby continues to baffle me. Like the season 1 episode where he acted to save her from expulsion, this episode again indicates that his feelings for her run deeper than he wants to admit, but why? The notion that he liked her pre-genius makes his attitude to her even weirder. The episode ends with Elizabeth clearly crushing on him harder than ever after he literally saves her life, and clearly unconvinced by his attempt to brush it off as "oh, I'd have done it for anyone!" Oh and there's a touching and funny bit between Elizabeth and Verity, where the sick Elizabeth starts to tell her how much she values her friendship, only to be interrupted, and then later denies remembering the conversation when Verity tries to bring it up after she's cured! 🤣

This is a great episode. :)
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Finished season 1 of Secret Army. Terrific finale - great episode title, too - Be the First Kid on Your Block To Rule the World - as British agent Curtis's cover is blown and the Nazis lock down Brussels as he desperately tries to get out. Tense stuff.
DogStar2000
Reactions:

Post by DogStar2000 »

iank wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 pm
Finished season 1 of Secret Army. Terrific finale - great episode title, too - Be the First Kid on Your Block To Rule the World - as British agent Curtis's cover is blown and the Nazis lock down Brussels as he desperately tries to get out. Tense stuff.
Secret Army was a great show; as was its spin-off series *******. (I wont spoil and give the name of the spin off) :)
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Rewatching Elementary season 1. Great stuff.
Have ordered season 1 of His Dark Materials. Better be good.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Wicked Science: A Friend in Need. Toby invents a way to look like anyone in a bid to get into Elizabeth's lab, only for it to be misused and land him in hot water when Russ tries to pretend to be him to make up for a faux pas with Nikki. This is a slightly lame episode, certainly a comedown from the previous one, not least because I could really give a fuck about Toby chasing after the incredibly bland Nikki. It still has some entertaining moments, mainly from Elizabeth, who helps Toby out with a mixture of blackmail and shameless flirtation (her glee at making him change clothes in front of her is pretty funny too). Elizabeth has certainly improved at the flirting since season 1, being positively vampish here! She makes this episode despite it generally a tad flat and I am liking her season 2 persona a lot. She seems a lot more confident, a lot less angry, and a lot more fun! That being said, I am disturbed at her claiming to love going to the dentist. Wow, she really is nuts.. :o :lol:
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

Since my laptop clapped out and I can't get any work done, I've been bin watching Angel.

Just finished the Jasmine story arc. I think that it's better than people give it credit for. I liked the way Charisma and Gina Torres performances as Jasmine were different, but complimented each other.

Charisma played Jasmine as an arrogant, power hungry bitch, whilst Gina at first played her as obviously creepy, but perhaps well meaning leaving you to wonder if she was just mad when possessing Cordy and this was her true self. However at the end when her plans were foiled you saw that Charisma's Jasmine was her true self (ironically when she was possessing someone.) She only seemed nice when she was in control, but as soon as she is threatened she reverts to the nasty, spoiled bully she is.

I also liked the way that when Jasmine, a creepy cult leader was attacked by someone who saw her for what she was, her response was "some people don't like change." I can't think who that reminds me of?

CONNOR What was wrong with that man? Why did he want to hurt you?

JASMINE: I'm not sure. Some people can't accept change. It scares them, and that fear becomes hatred, and they take that hatred out on others..
LMAO that seems to be the standard defence for people with no argument.
ImageImage
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

Onto Angel season 5. It holds up brilliantly and is one of the best seasons of either shows. I'd say it's a toss up between Angel season 1, Buffy seasons 2 and 3 and Angel season 5 for the best seasons of either show. Those 4 seasons represent some of the best genre tv ever made.

It's so great that after Angel season 4 and indeed Buffy seasons 6 and 7 all lost their way a bit, that they pulled out all the stops and gave us such a classic season to finish the franchise on. In a way it's kind of similar to Classic Who that lost its way a bit in Colin's second season and reached its low point in season 24, before bouncing back with the last two excellent McCoy seasons. (I don't think Buffy seasons 6 and 7 are as bad as season 24 of True Who, but they are definitely the weakest of Buffy, whilst similarly season 4 of Angel is the weakest of that series.)

I'd say that the Buffyverse and DW had the best endings of any genre series.

Blake's 7 last series was up and down. It has some of its best work and a stunning finale, but the likes of Animals, and Power are some of the worst tv I've ever seen. Star Trek TOS' last series was awful too, whilst Xena had an okay last season, but it wasn't enough to redeem the terrible 5th season. Once Upon A Time had an atrocious final season, whilst many other genre series don't really have an end like The Avengers.

Angel and True Who went out as well as they started. though sadly New Who has kind of fucked that.
ImageImage
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Secret Army: The Hostage. Season 2 opens with a very strong and compelling episode, as the Resistance try to find a downed British Brigadier who has info that can't be allowed to fall into Nazi hands. Good stuff, though I'm less than impressed that we've lost Jan Francis, or by the exit her character gets. One scene, and then killed off fairly lamely. Boo! That's all a bit too Neighboursesque hasty for me ("you know that character you've really invested in? Fuck them, they're gone, so get over it!")
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Burunman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm
Blake's 7 last series was up and down. It has some of its best work and a stunning finale, but the likes of Animals, and Power are some of the worst tv I've ever seen.
I've never disliked Animals. I much prefer it to Assassin which has some of the worst acting in the entire series. Warlord is a big dodgy, too. I do agree that Series 4 has some of the best episodes like Sand, Gold, Orbit and of course Blake.
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:44 pm
Burunman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm
Blake's 7 last series was up and down. It has some of its best work and a stunning finale, but the likes of Animals, and Power are some of the worst tv I've ever seen.
I've never disliked Animals. I much prefer it to Assassin which has some of the worst acting in the entire series. Warlord is a big dodgy, too. I do agree that Series 4 has some of the best episodes like Sand, Gold, Orbit and of course Blake.
Oh yes Sand is a brilliant episode, actually quite scary in places too. It's perfect Tanith Lee. I've always meant to read more of her stuff. Tanith Lee is kind of like R Chetwynd Hayes, a wonderfully offbeat, eccentric genre writer who has inexplicably been almost totally forgotten about.

Animals though is shit sorry. Justin and Dayna's relationship is creepy as hell. Power meanwhile is one of the worst bits of genre television I have ever seen. (People should always stay away from gender wars crap.) I can't remember Assassin is that the one with the headless robot?

Glad to see you back Maxil. Have you ever watched Angel? I think you'd love it. It's very like Blake's 7. I was shocked to read that Joss Whedon never watched Blake's 7 as from a glance its fingerprints look like they are all over his work. I guess it just goes to show you how Simpsons did it really is a thing. (Either that or Joss is lying. He does seem to lie about his influences quite a bit.)

Angel is basically the supernatural Blake's 7.

It's about a group of outcasts and losers and murderers and criminals who band together to fight evil, and their enemy Wolfram and Hart, an evil law firm with power across all universes, is kind of like the Federation (and the Village from the Prisoner and even Ares from Xena.)

Wolfram and Hart, The Village, The Federation and Ares are all an evil that you know the hero won't beat. They're either too big, or too important and they could crush the hero easily. However they all want something from the hero. Ares wants Xena to lead his army, The Village want the information from Number 6, the Federation want the Liberator intact, and Wolfram and Hart want Angel to go evil as he is prophesised to play a key role in bringing about their apocalypse.

As a result they all have to play petty mind games and dirty tricks to break the heroes and sometimes they do win and the hero is humiliated, sometimes the hero turns it around and has a stunning victory, but it's a constant battle of wits. (One episode of Angel even has Wolfram and Hart use the same tactics as the Federation do, where they brainwash several children into thinking they have been raped by one of their enemies to discredit him.)

The village, the Federation and Wolfram and Hart also all have minions like Number 2, Travis, and the Lawyers who think they are more important than they are, but are easily replaced. All of these lackeys serve as a somewhat bleak metaphor for how the people we think of as in charge are really just puppets themselves.

The Leo McKern Number 2, Holland Manners, even Servalan, it doesn't make any difference when these seemingly formidable people fall from grace or die. Same way it hasn't really made any difference whether it's George W Bush, Barack Obama or Donald Trump in the Whitehouse. All have had their dirty little war crimes, all have imposed sanctions, kept the same corrupt bastards in power etc.

(I will say though that Wolfram and Hart's two main lackeys are very similar to the Federation's. Wolfram and Hart's two lackeys are Lindsey, a guy who HATES Angel with a vengeance because Angel hacked off his hand and he now has a fake hand, whilst the other Lilah, is a scheming, sexy, femme fatale who is only out for herself and later takes over Wolfram and Hart and has a romance with a member of Angel's team who is the brains of the operation, cynical and utterly ruthless. Gee where have I heard that before.)

Also in the second season Angel becomes so obsessed with destroying Wolfram and Hart he goes a little nuts until he makes his way to their head quarters where he gets a nasty surprise and briefly loses faith in his mission.

Both series also kill off their main characters, though I won't reveal how or who so as not to spoil it, but there are a few more other strong similarities with B7.

Intentional or not Angel is more like B7 IMO than any other show. I guess it just goes to show you what a winning formula that was.
ImageImage