Decent Films

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

TheWatcher
Reactions:

Re: Decent Films

Post by TheWatcher »

Arguably, Rooney's best performance.

The Michael J. Fox of his time, in a way.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

My favourite is Cobra, an MTV style action/slasher flick that pits Sylvester Stallone up against a group of deranged serial killers in 80s Los Angeles. I've probably seen it more times than I've masturbated.

Bayban
Reactions:

Post by Bayban »

Falling Down (1993): Still an classic. The early 90s was the last great period for film.

''Goodnight Victoria''
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

My Brilliant Career (Armstrong, 1979):

Gillian Armstrong's breakthrough film My Brilliant Career is an early example of women filmmakers moving into mainstream filmmaking. An adaptation of a famous Australian novel about a young woman who desires independence from the cultural expectations of womanhood in the late 19th century, it tells the story of how Sybylla becomes a great writer instead. It's a beautiful costume drama that sets the stage for Armstrong's career of films about independent women. If you like Great Gerwig's Little Women, you'll like this and you should watch Armstrong's version of Little Women as well. Also, if you have never seen the short film La Jetée (Chris Marker 1966), it's worth a try.

For All Mankind (Al Reinert, 1989):

Compiled from hundreds of hours of film footage captured by NASA astronauts during the Apollo moon missions, this documentary creates a composite journey to the moon. Rather than the usual facts and interviews seen in other documentaries, it takes the viewer on a spectacular journey that lets us feel what it might have been like for the astronauts. The ambient soundtrack by Brian Eno and adds an appropriate haunting and ethereal quality. The perfect film to 'space out' to!

The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer, 2012):

The Act of Killing is a documentary like no other. Director Joshua Oppenheimer invited former leaders of the Indonesian mass killings of 1965–1966 to recreate their murders in the style of their favourite films: gangster, westerns and musicals. The result is a series of surreal performances that eventually prompt the men to express doubts about their past crimes and calls into question the very concept of a documentary. Also, check out The Look of Silence – Oppenheimer’s companion piece to the Act of Killing.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Manhunter (1986)

Michael Mann is a genius director. There's something deep behind every shot and he really does a good job at unsettling the viewer. This scene with Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecktor is a standout scene for me:

It's just marvellous the way the film is shot, the way it flows:

The film is very similar to the Miami Vice episode "Shadow in the Dark," something which I think is ultimately superior to "Manhunter" because of Don Johnson's performance. He portrays the mentally distressed cop much better and I relate to him a lot. They're both about a detective trying to get inside the head of a bizarre home invader, although the one in "Manhunter" is a serial killer. Both detectives become too involved with the case and their sanity suffers as a result. Both are extremely powerful, but "Shadow in the Dark" gets my vote as being the better and more disturbing of the two.

iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

I need to go back to watching some movies. Been about 7 weeks since I saw one, which was DEBS. I was having a great run with movies in the first few months of this year and then got completely derailed...
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

A zombie film called the Girl with all the Gifts. It very good, tried to something different and didn't disappoint. The zombies are caused by a symbiotic virus in this film. It's kind of a cross between 28 Days Later and Day of the Triffids

The Legend of Harrow Woods, a film starring Jason Donovan, Rik Mayall, Norman Wisdom with a voice over by Christopher Walken. It's really not as fun as it sounds.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Let The Right One In. Oskar is a lonely and bullied 12 year old who seethes with a desire for revenge on his tormentors and begins to befriend the strange 12 year old girl, Eli, who's just moved in next door. But Eli has been 12 years old for a very long time... This unique late 2000s Swedish vampire flick is eerie, touching and haunting in equal measure. A modern classic. It also broke my movie drought! :)
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

iank wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm
Let The Right One In. Oskar is a lonely and bullied 12 year old who seethes with a desire for revenge on his tormentors and begins to befriend the strange 12 year old girl, Eli, who's just moved in next door. But Eli has been 12 years old for a very long time... This unique late 2000s Swedish vampire flick is eerie, touching and haunting in equal measure. A modern classic. It also broke my movie drought! :)
That is an excellent film indeed. I’ve not seen it for years- I might dig out my old DVD copy in due course and watch it again. Beautifully characterised and highly atmospheric.

I found the subsequent American rendition “Let me In” rather dull and tepid by comparison if I recall correctly, though.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Bertrand Marx wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm
iank wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm
That is an excellent film indeed. I’ve not seen it for years- I might dig out my old DVD copy in due course and watch it again. Beautifully characterised and highly atmospheric.

I found the subsequent American rendition “Let me In” rather dull and tepid by comparison if I recall correctly, though.
Excellent film.
Yes, the remake is rather lacking by comparison. It's actually a Hammer film. Not that that means anything anymore. I'm not even sure if NuHammer is still going as a company.