Older fans - no longer required?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

iank
Reactions:

Older fans - no longer required?

Post by iank »

Some people have made a fascinating suggestion on other forums that the current state of the show and deliberately antagonistic/insulting developments such as a female Master, flying Cybermen and, of course, the beyond infamous CyberBrig, are actually being done on purpose, as it is with other things apparently (DC Comics has been mentioned) to deliberately drive away the older audience who refuse to "get with the program" and still complain about the shoddy scripts, poor characterisation, lack of logic, style over substance etc, so that all that is left is the "easy to please" squee audience who give every episode 10/10. Basically, the older audience are no longer wanted or needed with the show as it is being made today, and are being deliberately targeted to get them to jump ship entirely.

I am not without sympathy for the validity of this suggestion.
Genkimonk
Reactions:

Re: Older fans - no longer required?

Post by Genkimonk »

It is very very simple. The people who make DW believe the public are thick (which it seems to be true given they keep lapping up their shit) and so make a program to that view.

If anything is to blame it is a decline in education, promotion of pop culture and American ideology ruining the BBC.
The Hive Motto: ๐”“๐”ฆ๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ๐”ž๐”ฐ, ๐”ž๐”ฒ๐”ฑ ๐”ซ๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ฎ๐”ฒ๐”ž๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฐ๐”ข ๐”ฃ๐”ž๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฑ
Clips, or it never happened.
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

At a time when the ratings are under increasing scrutiny, i'm not sure even Moffat would be arrogant enough to deliberately ditch a percentage of his audience. I won't say he doesn't enjoy doing things which he knows will irritate the old guard, but not with the intention of getting rid of them en-masse.

Given that even some of the squee-ers hated the finale, it's more likely that he just can't write to save his life any more and has been consumed by his own ego so thinks he can get away with anything. It's sad really, because he proved with his RTD era scripts that he can write good stories.

Rather than doing it to annoy, you get the worrying impression that he really believes these are great ideas!
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

The only scientific way to define the origin of shit is that it always comes from an arsehole of some sort.
Zarius
Reactions:

Post by Zarius »

With Moff, the butterflies are not there anymore, there are no challenges for him, he even admitted in DWM "Listen" was an attempt to prove to himself he could still write (it simply proved he can only still write thirty minutes worth). When you write for Doctor Who, every story is a challenge, sleepwalking through something that has boundless imaginative promise is a dangerous message to send to people who showrun it in future, and it's a poor message to convey to all the poor saps who are watching as baby boomers who will have aspirations of working in tv and presenting us with the same level of "quality".
The classics endure
The new date and decay
Don't settle for less
Echos that blessed by yesterday

Classic Who: Never outdone, never outgrown
Mott1
Reactions:

Post by Mott1 »

Personally I think that since taking over at the top Moffatt has been going back through the old Who back catalogue of companions, monsters, references etc and trying to put these into his Sherlock-style meandering plotlines, along with RTD-style humour/gobby companion characters and an Eric Saward-like tendency to shock or surprise. He probably thinks he's appealing to everyone by doing this. But the more he does this, the less he seems to be capturing of the spirit of the old show, and unlike Moffatt's surprises Saward's shocks actually meant something - look at the dramatic and brutal end of Adric in Earthshock compared with the 'end' of Danny in Death In Heaven.

It would be a bold move to deliberately alienate the older fans, but what's particularly annoying, if that's the case, is that he doesn't seem to have any idea who he's replacing the old guard with or what their replacements actually want from that show - no sooner had the Master come back as Missy than she's killed off again. Nothing on TV comes across as being so lazy, impulsive or first-drafted as Nu Who.
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
Mike
Supreme Dalek
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

I really don't think having a female Master is bad in the slightest, but no, I think Moffat genuinely thinks he's a good writer and that all this stuff is genius.
Es gibt kein richtiges Leben im falschen.
- Theodor W. Adorno
Glitz
Reactions:

Post by Glitz »

The real fans- no longer required?.......I've felt this way since 2005!
Greywoolfe
Lolcat Of Rassilon
Reactions:

Post by Greywoolfe »

Mike wrote:I really don't think having a female Master is bad in the slightest, but no, I think Moffat genuinely thinks he's a good writer and that all this stuff is genius.
It's not the Master's gender that's the issue for me, it's that every sodding time the Master regenerates, he/she has the same cookie-cutter batshit insane personality. If the Doctor can change his, why the hell does the Master have to remain the same?
"You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance?
An alien who travels though time and space... in a police box?"- Liz Shaw, Spearhead From Space

"Moffatt didn't so much write a script as shove the rejected first draft of an L Ron Hubbard book into a lawnmower."- A. Reader, The Guardian.
Klade II
Reactions:

Post by Klade II »

Greywoolfe wrote:
Mike wrote:I really don't think having a female Master is bad in the slightest, but no, I think Moffat genuinely thinks he's a good writer and that all this stuff is genius.
It's not the Master's gender that's the issue for me, it's that every sodding time the Master regenerates, he/she has the same cookie-cutter batshit insane personality. If the Doctor can change his, why the hell does the Master have to remain the same?
This. I really don't like the direction they've taken The Master with in the New Series. He's supposed to be an evil mastermind, the Doctor's nemesis and intellectual equal.
But when you just make him cuh-raaaaaaaaazy, it's lazy and boring.
Last edited by Klade II on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.