Reactions:

Re: Top 25 Favourite Stories

Post by Penny »

The Turn of the Screw
I M Norman
Reactions:

Post by I M Norman »

Glitz wrote:I'm suprised to not see Attack in there, iank. Like me, I thought you were a big fan of that one. 26th maybe? ;)
IMO Attack would've been better if they had not bothered with the needless continuity guff - the whole "saving Mondas" isn't really that fanwanky (nobody complains when they return to Skaro or Gallifrey for the umpteenth time) but they could just have easily had the Cryons and setting be another cyberbase instead of Telos, and instead made the script tighter (and had better Cybermen costumes, they're way too baggy). And got rid of the Cybercontroller completely, as David Banks is a perfectly good big bad.
Mott1
Reactions:

Post by Mott1 »

I M Norman wrote:
Glitz wrote:I'm suprised to not see Attack in there, iank. Like me, I thought you were a big fan of that one. 26th maybe? ;)
IMO Attack would've been better if they had not bothered with the needless continuity guff - the whole "saving Mondas" isn't really that fanwanky (nobody complains when they return to Skaro or Gallifrey for the umpteenth time) but they could just have easily had the Cryons and setting be another cyberbase instead of Telos, and instead made the script tighter (and had better Cybermen costumes, they're way too baggy). And got rid of the Cybercontroller completely, as David Banks is a perfectly good big bad.
The reviews of classic Who often point to this as the story's big problem and having seen it I agree.

A shame as the character of Lytton's a good example of why the late Davison/C.Baker era is probably the most cynical in Dr Who history, and even if not every story was up to the standard of Caves or Vengeance at least the series was apparently being influenced by adult sci-fi themes.
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
I M Norman
Reactions:

Post by I M Norman »

Mott1 wrote:
I M Norman wrote:
The reviews of classic Who often point to this as the story's big problem and having seen it I agree.

A shame as the character of Lytton's a good example of why the late Davison/C.Baker era is probably the most cynical in Dr Who history, and even if not every story was up to the standard of Caves or Vengeance at least the series was apparently being influenced by adult sci-fi themes.
Eh, people complain about Saward's supposedly cynical streak, and while he did have a fascination for these types, I think the show's always had a tendency to be morbid - really, the shows second story is about a race mutated due to a nuclear holocaust, and one of the stories in its second season (Dalek Invasion) opens with a suicide by drowning.

I've always felt ragging on 80s Who are a bit unfair, as honestly in terms of budget/SFX/direction, 80s Who was no worse or better than most of the other BBC sci-fi and fantasy shows at the time, like Blake's 7, Hitchhiker's Guide, Box of Delights, Chronicles of Narnia, even The Tripods, which had the best effects out of all of them, looks a bit cheesy now.
Mike
Supreme Dalek
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

You can have a top ten you boring bastards. :D

0. Logopolis Episode 3
1. Silurians
2. Genesis
3. Spearhead
4. Invasion Earth
5. The Invasion
6. Seeds of Doom
7. Revelation
8. The Daleks
9. Five Docs
10. Remembrance
Es gibt kein richtiges Leben im falschen.
- Theodor W. Adorno
Wayne
Reactions:

Post by Wayne »

I posted this elsewhere, so what the hell... :mrgreen:

1 Genesis of the Daleks

It's simply my most watch story. Its dark and broody atmosphere is something that is integral to Dr Who for me. I've never tired of it. I was mesmerised in 1975 as a 12yr old, and the christmas omnibus repeat(s) was too exciting for people under a certain age to comprehend, in the days before videos, satellite tv, and the internet.
Wisher's performance as Davros has never been bettered. Sorry Terry, you did a fine job, but you lacked the nuance of the original. There are lots of other reasons, but i can't be arsed. :P

2 Pyramids of Mars

As always, nostalgia plays a bit part, but fundamentally this is the type of Who that I have the most affection for. It goes hand-in-hand with my love for Hammer Horror which developed concurrently with my passion for Dr Who.

3 Planet of the Spiders

A far from perfect story, but again nostalgic affection trounces its flaws every time.
An an 11yr old, I was mortified that Jon was leaving, but this story once again has that special atmosphere about it that captures everything I love about DW. I dearly wish there could've somehow been just one more season of Pertwee with Sladen, before ROBOT came along. That said, the regeneration scene is one the story's most fine and touching moments.

4 Terror of the Autons

Oh how I remember this story. The only Who story that ever gave me a bona fide nightmare. :-D Just the concept of everyday things like chairs and plastic flowers coming to life to deliver death by suffocation. Chilling stuff! And of course the introduction of the Master, who became such important part of this period of Dr Who, played to perfection by Roger Delgado whose performance was never equalled, let alone bettered.

5 Seeds of Doom

Such a cracking horror-edged thriller with such a memorable villain. It may have borrowed from Day of the Triffids and Creeping Vine, but for me that's all the more reason to like it! 8-)

6 The Silurians

In the battle of the 7-parters, I'd take this over Inferno and Ambassadors any day. Unlike the other two, the plot develops with very little repetition and padding, and fans out into a well-rounded story that I find easy to watch in its entirety. Something I've never quite managed with the other two. And much as the design of the Sea Devils trounces the Silurians, The Sea Devils, despite the bonus of Roger Delgado, is an inferior re-run that seems to last longer despite being an episode shorter.

7 The Green Death

I'm running out of ways to say it, but ultimately my comments about my Top 3 apply equally to the this story. It's all about atmosphere and tone. And nostalgia. :lol:

8 Planet of the Daleks

I know some people consider this a dull rehash of The Daleks, (and I can see why) But I just love it because of all the Dalek action. It brings out my inner 10 year old. :D (Although it doesn't take much) :P

9 Spearhead From Space

The first Dr Who story I ever saw, at the age of 6? How could this not be in my Top 10? For all the reasons cited before. Atmosphere, tone, realism, etc...

10 Brain of Morbius

Just fighting off Terror of the Zygons for the No.10 spot. (Today at least). Reasons? See Pyramids of Mars. ;)
Mott1
Reactions:

Post by Mott1 »

As much as Seal loves these lists (!) I always find doing them quite tough, because it's tricky trying to work out where the best of Nu Who ranks among some of old Who for overall enjoyment. Stories like Blink, The Girl Who Waited, Mummy On The Orient Express etc could just as easily be missed off just because they're so different to the classic series it still seems like chalk and cheese.
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

I posted this elsewhere too, and if it's good enough for Wayne... ;)

1 The War Games
Pat, Frazer and Wendy (oh Zoe...) at their finest in 10 episodes of epic epicness. The end of an era, and the defining regeneration story.

2 The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Tom and Louise, Victorian London, Bob Holmes at his absolute peak, murderous ventriloquist's dummies, giant rats. All this and these days it pisses off the PC Nazis too. What more can you ask for from a story?

3 Horror of Fang Rock
Period horror at its most potent.

4 The Ribos Operation
Great pseudo-medieval atmosphere, great writing, a great intro for Romana, Iain Cuthbertson, loads of wit. Glorious.

5 State of Decay
More glorious pseudo-medieval atmosphere, Tom and Lalla on fantastic form, great music, blood-sucking vampires... Heaven.

6 Spearhead from Space
An amazing start to Pertwee, colour and the 70s. One of the very first I ever saw, and still a timeless favourite.

7 Survival
Sylv and Soph in peak form, with Ainley at his best, great music and real magic.

8 The Invasion
The Pat, Frazer and Wendy (oh Zoe...) team again, this time with added Nick Courtney. Kevin Stoney is the best Bond villain ever.

9 The Time Warrior
One of the funniest Pertwee stories, as Bob Holmes takes the pisss out of historicals and introduces one of the show's most iconic monsters. He also name-drops Gallifrey for the first time, almost as an afterthought. What a fucking legend.

10 The Deadly Assassin
Bob Holmes again! Peter Pratt's Master is gloriously batshit evil in this cracking revenge thriller that remains the definitive Time Lord story.

11 The Sun Makers
Bob Holmes AGAIN, this time taking the P**s - and a bit of a bite - out of taxation and corporate ownership of - well - everything.

12 City of Death
Tom and Lalla get it on. Julian Glover. Duggan. Paris...

13 The Androids of Tara
A wonderfully entertaining swashbuckler. Just wonderful fun.

14 Ghost Light
Sylv and Soph in major Gothic weirdness. Spellbinding.

15 Inferno
Dark s**t and no mistake!

16 Day of the Daleks
Who does The Terminator 12 years early. The first Pertwee story I saw, and still one of the greatest. The twist blew my pre-teen mind.

17 The Horns of Nimon
Campy and hilarious and just massively FUN! Tom and Graham Crowden have an out-acting contest while Lalla does the Doctor thing.

18 Shada
Being incomplete somehow seems to make this end of an era story all the more invaluable and special.

19 Remembrance of the Daleks
THAT'S how you do a Dalek story, Mr Moffat.

20 The Time Meddler
Wonderful atmosphere, wit, Peter Butterworth, Vicki as leading lady. Love it. My favourite Hartnell.

21 The Caves of Androzani
Obviously.

22 Revelation of the Daleks
Deliciously macabre.

23 The Empty Child
The definitive New Series story. Eccleston kicks ass, as do Florence Hoath and Richard Wilson. Fantastic atmosphere, and major scares and laughs.

24 The Time of Angels
To this day, I find it hard to crevice that this was the first story Matt Smith and Karen Gillan shot. A spectacularly atmospheric, exciting and scary action-horror filled with iconic set-pieces and the new Doctor/Companion team on truly extraordinary form.

25 The Daleks
Iconic. Such atmosphere.

26 The Web of Fear
Long one of the missing stories I most wanted to see, and it didn't disappoint. An instant classic.

27 Attack of the Cybermen

Wildly underrated for all the wrong reasons. Exciting, superbly acted and directed and filled with terrific characters and dialogue.

28 The Curse of Fenric
Obviously.

29 Terror of the Zygons
The Brig dons a kilt and Geoffrey Burgon shows Dudley Simpson how it's done. Wonderful.

30 The Robots of Death
"Please do not throw hands at me".

Please don't kill me for including two New Who stories. :D
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

This will be more in Doctor order than preference, just as I go through picking the ones I like. I'm bored this morning. :)

1. The Daleks
2. The Aztecs
3. The Crusades
4. Power of the Daleks
5. Tomb of the Cybermen
6. Enemy of the World
7. The War Games
8. Spearhead from Space
9. The Green Death
10. Curse of Peladon
11. Pyramids of Mars
12. Robots of Death
13. Keeper of Traken
14. The Five Doctors
15. Kinda
16. Caves of Androzani
17. Earthshock
18. Genesis of the Daleks
19. Vengeance on Varos
20. The Two Doctors
21. Remembrance of the Daleks
22. Curse of Fenric
23. Ghostlight
24. Chimes of Midnight
25. Natural History of Fear

Had to include some BF as my top 25 wouldn't be honest without some McGann in there.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

1. Remembrance of the Daleks
2. The Curse of Fenric
3. Delta and the Bannermen
4. Time and the Rani
5. The Underwater Menace
6. The Myth Makers
7. The Massacre
8. The Daleks' Master Plan