Big Finish Reviews

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

English Giraffe
Reactions:

Re: Big Finish Reviews

Post by English Giraffe »

The Twilight Kingdom- Wouldn't call it bad, but really feels like a typical Hammer Horror story, like Planet of Evil. Episode 4 is pretty good (although I totally called that the Doctor wanted to go to the Divergent Universe to find Rassilon due to the stuff laid out in Neverland and Zagreaus), but it's pretty standard stuff all around.

Faith Stealer- A imaginative very humorous script. Given just how bleak the last few stories were in terms of tone, it was nice to actually have a more early Graham Williams-esque story and actually get something about C'rizz and his backstory.

The Last- Holy hell, if this isn't the bleakest and most depressing story in Doctor Who, and I've experienced a lot of material. I'm surprised that Doctor Who has never done a 'aftermath of a nuclear war' styled story and it presents it really well, if extremely dour. But with a setting like a nuclear winter, it makes sense, just don't go in expecting a hopeful story. Excelsior might be the most despicable Who villain, she's a complete sociopath and I wanted something to murder her in the worst way possible. Also, this is the point where Conrad Westmass really starts to make himself distinctive as C'rizz. Although, the ending is pretty terrible and the reset button feels like such a cop out. I know that everyone besides the Doctor lived, and of course Charley and C'rizz needed to come back in some form, but resetting everything felt cheap.
DWMR055_thetwilightkingdom_1417.jpg
DWMR055_thetwilightkingdom_1417.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 229 times
DWMR061_faithstealer_1417.jpg
DWMR061_faithstealer_1417.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 229 times
DWMR062_thelast_1417.jpg
DWMR062_thelast_1417.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 229 times
English Giraffe
Reactions:

Caedroia: Okay, can Lloyd Rose come back to write more stories please? I absolutely adored her previous work on the EDA'S, City of the Dead and Camera Obscura, and she manages to excel with writing character pieces on the triplet 8th Doctors and the companions. While it's a bit light on plot, the actual contents displayed feel alive and bouncy, and a surreal atmosphere. Definitely one of the most fun Eighth Doctor stories.

The Next Life- Yeah okay, I wasn't really feeling this one. This is a story that feels like it has magnificent moments in an average story. The idea of C'rizz being a psychopath companion that murders people unpredictably and in cold blood is a fascinating idea, but the previous stories made C'rizz too much of a wimp for me to believe that (do they really expect me to believe that C'rizz murdered his wife in cold blood, when there was hesitation?). As someone who liked Zagreaus' role in their story and thought had a unnerving presence, here Zagreaus is just a typical moustache twirling villain with none of the gravitas that Neverland and Zagreaus showed. Paul Darrow is great as always (the one saving grace in Timelash) and it was nice to hear Anneke Willes and Daphne Ashbrook, but I found this to be a lacking conclusion to the Divergent Arc. It's certainly not the worst Eighth Doctor story in the Main Range, but on a subjective note, it's probably my least favourite.
DWMR063_caerdroia_1417.jpg
DWMR063_caerdroia_1417.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 185 times
DWMR064_thenextlife_1417.jpg
DWMR064_thenextlife_1417.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 185 times
Genkimonk
Reactions:

Post by Genkimonk »

The Divergence arc was rushed as the BBC demanded they end it early so not to confuse fans of the new show when it came back. You'll notice some of the following stories (time works etc) feel more divergence arc than they should be. That is because they were originally written as being so.
The Hive Motto: ๐”“๐”ฆ๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ๐”ž๐”ฐ, ๐”ž๐”ฒ๐”ฑ ๐”ซ๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ฎ๐”ฒ๐”ž๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฐ๐”ข ๐”ฃ๐”ž๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฑ
Clips, or it never happened.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

A real mixed bag.
I enjoyed Faith Stealer, and thought The Last was great. But I was underwhelmed with The Next Life, and found Caedroia as dull as fuck. And I can't even remember The Twilight Kingdom. :lol:
Genkimonk
Reactions:

Post by Genkimonk »

The worst part is that Romana threatened to release all hell on the Doctor should he return, but then he does, and NOTHING! Not even a fleeting visit from the CIA.

And don't get me started on how shit Terror Firma is.
The Hive Motto: ๐”“๐”ฆ๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ฏ๐”ž๐”ฐ, ๐”ž๐”ฒ๐”ฑ ๐”ซ๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ฎ๐”ฒ๐”ž๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฐ๐”ข ๐”ฃ๐”ž๐” ๐”ฑ๐”ฒ๐”ช ๐”ข๐”ฐ๐”ฑ
English Giraffe
Reactions:

Genkimonk wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
The worst part is that Romana threatened to release all hell on the Doctor should he return, but then he does, and NOTHING! Not even a fleeting visit from the CIA.

And don't get me started on how shit Terror Firma is.
My guess is that once 8 returned to the Normal Universe, he's pretty much hiding in secret from the Time Lords, in a similar vein to the 60s Doctors, which could also explain the lower, less grand stories. But that's me really fansplaining it, and of course, the Lucie Miller and future stuff did nothing with this idea.

Oh boy, you might not like my Terror Firma review, because I... pretty much jump for joy like a child on a sugar rush whenever I listen to it.
Genkimonk
Reactions:

Post by Genkimonk »

I did at first, but over the years I noticed way to many plot holes

1. How did Davros revert back to being Davros
2. So Earth was pretty much wiped out by the Daleks again, so why is this never brought up again?
3. Given the above, what happened to the timeline?
4. Crizz becomes the emperor for one scene, and then is back to normal in the next, with no discussion about it, or any consequences mentioned. Feels like a plot thread that went nowhere.
5. Sorry, Davros may be a genius, but given he has had no interaction with timelord technology before, how the fuck did he operate on the Tardis. More to the point, given a lack of any support (no Daleks at the time), how could he physically?
6. Why didn't the timelords respond to the Dalek invasion as it was a change in history?
7. So, what happened to this kill all life in the universe virus? Leaving it with humanity was a realllllllllllllly stupid idea.
English Giraffe
Reactions:

Genkimonk wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 am
I did at first, but over the years I noticed way to many plot holes

1. How did Davros revert back to being Davros
2. So Earth was pretty much wiped out by the Daleks again, so why is this never brought up again?
3. Given the above, what happened to the timeline?
4. Crizz becomes the emperor for one scene, and then is back to normal in the next, with no discussion about it, or any consequences mentioned. Feels like a plot thread that went nowhere.
5. Sorry, Davros may be a genius, but given he has had no interaction with timelord technology before, how the fuck did he operate on the Tardis. More to the point, given a lack of any support (no Daleks at the time), how could he physically?
6. Why didn't the timelords respond to the Dalek invasion as it was a change in history?
7. So, what happened to this kill all life in the universe virus? Leaving it with humanity was a realllllllllllllly stupid idea.
On the subject on points 1, 2 and 3, I don't think that I can necessarily fault it on Terror Firma specifically, but the fact that there's no future stories to talk about this point. And I think that's a fault of Joseph Lidster's writing, I noticed how there was basically no reference to Peri's mom murder and her trauma from it in The Reaping (as much as I love it). As for point 7, I think that the Doctor felt optimistic and felt that humanity could use the virus for only when the Daleks returned. Good points on 4, 5 and 6 though, I hadn't considered those. But I don't think that it overall disrupts my views on it anyway.