What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

ClockworkOcean
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by ClockworkOcean »

Rob Filth wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 am
Basically, if you cut out the first 10 minutes of Missy acting a complete cunt and had the end titles at the Doctors original "death" when he'd been zapped by the Cyberman head-weapon, then this would have been one of NuWhos best stories.

Even Simm is incredibly more believable as the Master.

If you are to count NuPooh as a continuation of the Classic Series then this is the point in which the series ends, on the Doctors final incarnation before his and his companions tragic death.

No fucking extra 13 lives fairy dust bollocks, no indefinite regenerations rubbish, no regenderation crap(if you count Missy as a highly dishonest version of The Rani), no Jodie Shittaker, no stupid puddle creatures, no Hartnell Faketors and no millions of Pre-Hartnell Doctors.

There, fixed.

I'm hoping one day a fan does a suitable edit of this story to reflect those changes.
The closest I've seen so far is WhoFlix's edit which has Bill stay dead at the end, but moves on to a shortened version of Twice Upon a Time which cuts out the sexist Hartnell crap and ends with the Doctor mid-regeneration. It sort of works, but I'd much rather have confirmation that he's dead than leave open even the slightest possibility that the Chibnall era happens. It's what makes Death Comes to Time such an appealing end point, even though it means losing McGann.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

NuPu doesn't count, anyway. No more than Curse of Fatal Death does. It's a spin-off.
There have still only been 7 Doctors. Or 8 if you want to count McGann.
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Just watching Ark. I have to say that so far it's a pretty good episode. Not great but good. I think this is the first time the shows ever done a story where the characters jump about in time see how things change in the future. this is also the first time I've seen the old, eyeball in the mouth trick played dead strait to my memory.

The tyrannical takeover by the monoids is intreasting. We are never seen how they were treated in full early on in the story but they seemed to be treated as labours and none bothered to make devices for them to speak, yet at the same time no humans ever out and out cruel to them. When they do take over their total assholes. I can only suggest that this story is ment to be a counter point to Galaxy 4's themes.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

The Woman Who Fell to Earth

So... apart from the obvious, what has really changed? Not that much in most ways. The overall tone of NuPu has'nt really changed under Chibnall; the dialogue is still as puerile as it ever was, except now it's being delivered a woman in a Mork suit, as Rob aptly describes it. The costume just makes her look like a Play Away or Rainbow presenter, and the accent doesn't help matters. Is she any good as an actress? Who knows? Her performance is firmly in the tradition of NuPu, so in some ways I can't say it's any worse than the other NuPu Doctors in their worst stories. If a script comes along that requires any kind of gravitas, then maybe I'll be able to make more of a judgement, but my overriding reaction is just more of the same.
It doesn't come across as the real thing; It's like watching kids in the playground playing at Dr Who, except this time it's a girl. Actually, I'm going to slightly contradict myself and say that largely due to Jodie's Children's TV Presenter version of the Doctor, this does feel much more like a show aimed at children. It's like watching SJA, except instead of Sarah, we've got a young woman pretending to be the lead character from an old TV series called Dr Who.
I've always subscribed to what Clockwork Ocean said on another thread; in that a female Doctor could've worked if it was thought through and written well, but that was never gonna happen with the NuPu team. In Science Fiction anything is possible, but it still has to work, and this doesn't. We all know, especially with the unnecessary retconning of the Doctor's past, that I've heard about but not seen yet, that this was done for ideological reasons only, and thus has become one more way to make NuPu the crock od shite that it is, and always has been. 0/10

The Ghost Monument

See above, but with extra lashings of monotony. 0/10

Time and the Rani

So here we are at the season that I've always thought was the worst of classic Who.
How does one put this into perspective after watching Ms Mork? Or indeed after the misfires of S23....
It's fair to say that it's taken me a long time to come to terms McCoy's Doctor, but he has grown on me somewhat over the years, although it's not really down to anything in S24, which I always found far too panto to take seriously. But after seeing the NuPu levels of panto, particularly most recently in the form of 'Missy'; Sylv's prat-falling, and the double whammy of having to deal two versions of the ghastly Mel, actually seem quite sober and restrained by comparison. This is never going to be a big favourite, but despite my antipathy towards the comedic tone at this point in the shows history; I actually found it considerably less boring than either The Mysterious Planet or the godawful Mindwarp.
I'll give it 4/10.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Ludders wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm
The Woman Who Fell to Earth

0/10
An apt score for arguably the least intolerable episode of the entire era. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, least intolerable based on what I actually sat through anyway.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Ludders wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm
Time and the Rani

So here we are at the season that I've always thought was the worst of classic Who.
How does one put this into perspective after watching Ms Mork? Or indeed after the misfires of S23....
It's fair to say that it's taken me a long time to come to terms McCoy's Doctor, but he has grown on me somewhat over the years, although it's not really down to anything in S24, which I always found far too panto to take seriously. But after seeing the NuPu levels of panto, particularly most recently in the form of 'Missy'; Sylv's prat-falling, and the double whammy of having to deal two versions of the ghastly Mel, actually seem quite sober and restrained by comparison. This is never going to be a big favourite, but despite my antipathy towards the comedic tone at this point in the shows history; I actually found it considerably less boring than either The Mysterious Planet or the godawful Mindwarp.
I'll give it 4/10.
I'm hardly McCoys biggest fan, but you're right. Time and the Rani IS better than both Mysterious Planet and Mindwarp. Mainly because it is VISUALLY better. The Tetraps, Rani bubbletraps, the model FX are all very good. Even the direction isn't too bad for the most part. The plot itself, whilst nothing original is standard trad Doctor Who-fare too.

The main thing which lets down Time and the Rani are:

1.The God awful pantomime acting. Fuck, it's literally like Play School.
2. Rubbish incidental music, it almost makes Murray Gold seem subtle. Almost, but not quite.
3. McCoys garbled delivery and prat falling. The attempts at humour all fall flat.
4. Bonnie Langford. Even if she was comatose for 4 episodes not uttering a line of dialogue, 5 points out of 10 would be instantly wiped from the stories score just by her mere presence of being there.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Rosa

Nothing against this type of story, but a much better job of it could've been made than a James Goddard lookalike coming back from the future to stop the civil rights movement.
Apart from anything else. there just wasn't a lot of drama in it. It was really rather dull. I'll give it a point for teaching me about Rosa Parks, who I'd never heard of before.

1/10

Arachnids in the UK

Would've made a good episode SJA if it wasn't for Ms Mork playing at being the Doctor. That is until the it got ridiculous about giving dignity and a 'humane' death to spiders big enough to eat us. Utter nonsense.

0/10

Paradise Towers

No matter what anyone says about this shit being influenced by J,G. Ballard, it makes no difference to the fact that it's appallingly realised, appallingly panto-acted, and is just basically appalling on every level. It even makes Time and the Rani look like Seeds of Doom. This is the 3rd and final time I've tried with this, but it's pretty much the nadir of the classic series. Never again.

0/10
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Arachnids in the UK

Would've made a good episode SJA if it wasn't for Ms Mork playing at being the Doctor.
I think you're being a bit harsh on SJA there Ludders.

At least I could watch that without wanting to break things afterwards.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

The Tsuranga Conundrum

Ms Mork meets cousin of the Adipose. Or to give it it's novelisation title: Five get bored shitless on a Spaceship.

0/10

Demons of the Punjab

A bit like Rosa, A much better story could've been made out of the Partition in India, besides a lame, emo story with the most shoehorned in aliens ever.

0/10

Delta and the Bannermen

This is almost as far away from being what I think of as Dr Who as NuPu is. I can't watch it without thinking 'what the fuck is this supposed to be?
I'll give a point for not being as long as Paradise Towers, and the fact that Ken fucking Dodd is not in it for half as long as Richard Briers' appallingly panto Adolf Blakey is in Paradise Towers. Just tat.

1/10
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Watched the Celestial Toymaker reconstruction yesterday. As with the pure audio version, the story sadly looses out because it’s a very visual one. You can’t as accurately recreate the tension it’s trying to convey without proper visuals. That said I story love the story and Michael Gough is superb as the Toymaker. It really is a shame the character was never brought back... or is that a good thing as NuWho would only fuck it up.

I’ve seen some reviews that view this story as to childish but I thick that’s part of its charm. The characters must beat a being with god like power who’s obsessed with playing silly games... and is childish enough to cheat at them.

The horror of the episode comes from how the Toymaker treats his toys. As we understand it, they could very well have been people once, yet the Toymaker treats them like a spoiled child would, eager to bring them out and happy to break them when bored.

The notorious N word moments is none near as bad as some would believe. It’s just casual said, put out as part of the old rhyme and is not actually directed at anyone. Bad but there’s are lot worse in the history of fiction.

On the flip side there’s nothing to indicate any racism in the character of the Toymaker. Just modern snowflakes finding excuses to whine if you ask me. As with Talons.

I’d dearly love to see this one animated and even improved upon if possible, as I’ve said befor.
Last edited by The Sevenfold Man on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.