What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Ludders
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Ludders »

Kerblam

Another example of NuPu bringing the extraordinary down to the level of the mundane. In this case; Amazon, and jobs for people vs automation. I've seen worse episodes, but it's too contemporary and not very exciting at all. 1/10

The Witchfinders

Utterly dull and unremarkable, apart from laughing at Ms Mork. 0/10

Dragonfire

A very average story, but at least it feels like Dr Who.
Over the years Big Finish have gone a long towards improving and engendering some appreciation for the character of Ace; so much so that I'd forgotten how cringeworthy the character was in her early days. Bilgebag indeed.... Still, at least Edward Peel turns in a good performance, and Tony Selby is always entertaining as Glitz.
It's not great, but rather this than Paradise Towers or Bannermen any day of the week. 5/10
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Cheer up Ludders, at least you have one semi-decent story to watch on your next round of self-inflicted torture.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

It Takes You Away

No kidding.... Ms Mork's big speech about 'love' took me away to the land of sleep.... Probably the worst episode of this era so far. 0/10

The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

Let's not kill the big bad, 'coz we're bigger than that. Sadako would love this one. :lol: 0/10

The Happiness Patrol

If they took Bertie Basset out of it, and turned down the camp a bit and made it less panto, it wouldn't be too bad. There's a good story in there, but the tone is very variable. Some bits work, some bits don't. It doesn't help that Sylv sounds like Kermit the frog every time he tries to play it hard and forceful.
It's not as bad as I remember, but the wobbly realisation means I can't give it more than 5/10.
UncleDeadly
Reactions:

Post by UncleDeadly »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm
Delta and the Bannermen

This is almost as far away from being what I think of as Dr Who as NuPu is. I can't watch it without thinking 'what the fuck is this supposed to be?
I'll give a point for not being as long as Paradise Towers, and the fact that Ken fucking Dodd is not in it for half as long as Richard Briers' appallingly panto Adolf Blakey is in Paradise Towers. Just tat.

1/10
Well, let's see; Set in Wales, camp as Christmas, simplistic self-parodic plot, spazzy version of the Doctor, silly wobbly aliens, poorly-motivated villains, cheesy romantic subplot, pop culture references, flying buses...no, i can't think what this reminds me of.

Mind you, at least this was a one-off and was basically made under duress. No-one in their right mind would use this as a blueprint for a remake of Doctor Who, would they...?
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am
Cheer up Ludders, at least you have one semi-decent story to watch on your next round of self-inflicted torture.
Okay, I thought you were going to review Remembrance, my bad.

You really MUST be into continual self-torture.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:01 pm
Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am
Okay, I thought you were going to review Remembrance, my bad.

You really MUST be into continual self-torture.
I'm saving Remembrance for my eventual Dalek marathon.
As for NuPu, I decided to watch it after reading all the fuss about it on NuHive and other places. I like to make my own mind up, but it's not important enough to actually give a shit about it. :lol:
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Just finished The Gunfighters, if me and my girlfriend ever hear that fucking “Last Chance Saloon” song again we’ll put our fists through the screen. Dodo is also really getting our tits now.

Other then that it was ok. Pretty average western fair, with a few really good bits of comedy. Terrible accents aside.
BillPatJonTom
Reactions:

Post by BillPatJonTom »

Wasn't the perceived bad reception that Gunfighters got at the time meant to be what persuaded the programme makers to abandon the historical adventures previously such a staple part of the show's formula? Ironic that many of them now seem to offer a refreshing change from the science fiction adventures.

I know we got some further historicals after Gunfighters at least up until The Highlanders ended their run in the 60s so I imagine they were just not popular enough when compared with the science fiction adventures. Of course we still continued to get the occasional "pseudo historicals" and later, in the 80s, I suppose Black Orchid could be considered a brief return to the "pure historical" at a push.

One thing I like about the historical adventures, especially those involving Bill's Doctor, is that they lend a little bit of credibility to the outrageous name dropping adopted by later incarnations (especially Jon and Tom) when they boast of unlikely sounding encounters with famous people from history.
the true Who the whole true Who and nothing but the true Who
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

BillPatJonTom wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 am
Wasn't the perceived bad reception that Gunfighters got at the time meant to be what persuaded the programme makers to abandon the historical adventures previously such a staple part of the show's formula? Ironic that many of them now seem to offer a refreshing change from the science fiction adventures.

I know we got some further historicals after Gunfighters at least up until The Highlanders ended their run in the 60s so I imagine they were just not popular enough when compared with the science fiction adventures. Of course we still continued to get the occasional "pseudo historicals" and later, in the 80s, I suppose Black Orchid could be considered a brief return to the "pure historical" at a push.

One thing I like about the historical adventures, especially those involving Bill's Doctor, is that they lend a little bit of credibility to the outrageous name dropping adopted by later incarnations (especially Jon and Tom) when they boast of unlikely sounding encounters with famous people from history.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the pure historical just as much as the sci-fi episodes. The Gunfighters though just didn’t jell with me personally. First off it’s western setting is one I’m not overly interested in. I found the plot rather generic and music driving me to want to punch my tv. The jokes did work for the most part thought.

The biggest issue for me is our main cast really contribute nothing to the story. That may be the point but it just doesn’t work for me.

The best thing about the Gunfighters is easily Hartnell as despite having so little to actually do, his often steals the show. He also has a few good serious moments to, such as when he refuses to work with the Marshall when he’s out for blood.

As I’ve already said Dodo is just getting insufferable by this point. It reached its peak during the Celestial Toymaker and I’ve got no tolerance for the character anymore.

I didn’t realise the Gunfighters was that badly looked upon until recently.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

The Gunfighters is basically a marmite story, people either love it or hate it.

Personally, I quite like it.