What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Rob Filth
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Rob Filth »

MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
I think you need to care for your own reputation after publishing your fanfic image library above.
Well there's gratitude for you!

Next time I won't bother to think of your own good interests and let Levine give you a good tweak on the nose with his porky hands for not looking after his "equipment" properly.

I doubt he'll loan or entrust you with anything again now.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Rob Filth wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:29 pm
MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
I think you need to care for your own reputation after publishing your fanfic image library above.
Well there's gratitude for you!

Next time I won't bother to think of your own good interests and let Levine give you a good tweak on the nose with his porky hands for not looking after his "equipment" properly.

I doubt he'll loan or entrust you with anything again now.
I bet it wasn't your nose he tweaked!
Rebutting Rob's ridiculous rantings since 2004
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

MistressRani wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm
Levine always relays me his messages to pass to you remotely, I've never actually met him.

Now get those gym short on for Ian, Rani!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm
MistressRani wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm
Levine always relays me his messages to pass to you remotely, I've never actually met him.

Now get those gym short on for Ian, Rani!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you both have very good lines of communication - he's got you on speed dial!
Rebutting Rob's ridiculous rantings since 2004
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Ok so I’ve gone through a few episodes the last few days

The Smugglers was not a great start for season 4. while not as bad as the Gunfighters, there just wasn’t enough going on to keep me interested. In fact I feel asleep during episode 3. Again it’s subject matter that I was not overly interested in, pirates and smugglers are neither here nor then for me when it comes to history. That seems To be an issue with historicals for me it would seem.

That all said Ben and Polly make for much better companions then Steven and Dodo. Steven was ok but Ben’d got more character and anyone other is better then Dodo.

The Tenth Planet by contrast is a much better. While the story itself is not ground breaking, the monsters really help to elevate it to s as higher level. I’ve always like the original Cyber-men design, though I think the fact that their in black and white hides a lot of their costumes flaws. If you’ve ever read any of the praise other people have had for them, then you’ll know my stand on how cool and scary they are.

Ben is pretty good in this story as he actually behaves somewhat like a navy men and his horror at having to kill a one of the Cyber-men is a prime example of the a character moment Steven never got.

It’s really sad to see Hartnell leave. While I’ve always had a lot of respect for him and his Doctor, my utter hatred of Twice Upon a Time on broadcast being a prime example, sitting down and watching his entire era has made me appreciate him all the more. While many actors would take on the part after this point, Hartnell will forever be the the soul of the Doctor.

I’m now currently watch Power of the Daleks.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

The Sevenfold Man wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:31 pm
The Smugglers was not a great start for season 4. while not as bad as the Gunfighters
I'm the other way around, I prefer the Gunfighters to the Smugglers.

The Gunfighters might be infuriating to those not in the mood to appreciate the lighter jokey and ludicrous tone, but the Smugglers is possibly the most dull historical story out of them all. Even the Highlanders(which again, isn't that great) still has more moments of entertainment than the Smugglers.

The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Ok so I’m three stories into Troughton’s run.

Power of the Daleks is a bloody masterpiece, as it’s both an amazing Dalek story and possibly the best post regeneration story wrapped into one.

Having watched and listened to Hartnell’s stories over the the last few months, I think I do get a vague taste of just how strange Troughton taking over the roll was on broadcast. While he dose display characteristics of Hartnell, he is also so alien in comparison. He talks of the Doctor as if they are different people at first, he at times seems more childish but also smarter, or at least quicker of mind. A great example is when he accurately deduces Vulcans environment before he’s even stepped through the Tardis’ doors.

A point I don’t recall anyone mentioning is the First Doctor’s ring, which is discarded once it falls from Troughton’s finger. Many modern fans are used to NuWho using the Sonic Screwdriver as a crutch that they are unaware that in the classic series many incarnations of the Doctor barely used it or never had it at all. While only used a handful of times, it’s a cool little trinket unique to the Doctor’s first incarnation.

As a Dalek story story, Power dose something very smart. In each story the Daleks have progressively grown a a threat until they were one of the greatest power in the galaxy and have always been portrayed from a position of strength. Here that is turned on it’s head as the Daleks are weak and disarmed, forcing them to outthink the humans and play wits against the Doctor. It as a whole new level of menace to the old pepper pots.

Animation wise this story is ok though I think it improves as time goes on.

10/10

The Highlanders is a hard one for me to review as the only reconstruction I could find was of rather low quality. The over all story is very basic, elevated only by Troughton’s performance and along with Frazer Hines as Jamie. That said, while Jamie dose stand out from the crowd it’s hard to judge Hines performance based solely on audio so I’ll knock off half a point. Also Polly has a lot more agency in this story which is a plus for her character.

As we all know this was the last pure historical until the 80s and unfortunately they didn’t go out on a high note. While better then Gunfighters and Smugglers, Highlanders still lacks the spark that made the first two seasons historical stories so memorable.

The best thing I can say about it is that it gave use one of Doctor Who’s most remembered companions.

4.5/10

The Underwater Menace is an odd story. On the one hand The Doctor and Jamie are very good here, in fact I can better understand why Hines was approached to be a main caste member. Yet on the flip side, focus is taken from Ben giving him less to do, though he and Jamie have a good sense of comradeship, while Polly loses the agency she had in highlanders and spends most her time in peril or in hiding.

Likewise the plot of the story is equal parts interesting and barmy, Zaroff is cartoonishly evil but is so hammy that he’s enjoyable, the sets look good but some of the costumes look awful, yes the fishmen and priests.

It so all over the place that can only give it 5/10.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Ludders wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Time and the Rani
This is never going to be a big favourite, but despite my antipathy towards the comedic tone at this point in the shows history; I actually found it considerably less boring than either The Mysterious Planet or the godawful Mindwarp.
I'll give it 4/10.
Nice to see you give it a score higher than a 0 . It has so much more going for it than the previous season. It feels faster, more dynamic in the way that it moves. I really need to watch it again at some point.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Watched the first half of Masque of Mandragora last night. Enjoyable enough so far.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

MistressRani wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:53 pm
I'm sure you both have very good lines of communication - he's got you on speed dial!
He has to in order to relay all those lines of communication to his little cutey Rani-kins.

Although he was a little cross that you couldn't be bothered to throw his white gym shorts in the washing machine after use and left skid marks up the back, but he said he was compensated with a good sniff of them instead.