What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Ludders
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Ludders »

Thin Ice

The obligatory Victorianesque episde. I'm starting to see why many found Bill preferable to Clara, but the character is so simplistic and childlike, it's painful.
The story itself was so tedious that it was hard to stop my mind wandering. It's all just so uninspiring.... :-| I'll give it half a point for not being one of the worst, I suppose. :P 0.5/10

The Twin Dilemma

So I reach the Colin Baker era... I was never a big fan of this story, but upon revisiting it after more than 15 years, it is, whilst not great; better than I remembered.
I do find the first 2 episodes rather a chore, but it starts to pick up a bit in the second half. Part of what makes it hard going is the rather laboured post-regeneration 'bad doctor' stuff. It's really rather tiresome and hasn't aged well at all. I think Colin's performance is fine; even more so when the script starts to get past all that stuff. I just question some of the creative decisions like lumbering him with that godawful costume. Not that I was keen on Davo's costume for that matter; but I felt that they didn't get back to having a decent costume until McCoy came along. It doesn't need to be so deliberately outlandish.
Anyway that aside, the story isn't too bad when it finally gets into gear. Yes, the twins are crap actors, and even Maurice Denham's performance seems a bit lacklustre and uninspired, but Edwin Richfield's Mestor makes up for it with enthusiasm. Ok granted, Mestor looks a bit comical, but this is typical BBC budget stuff, and frankly, if you can survive the Myrka without dying of laughing, you can survive anything. :lol:
Once you get into the latter half of the story, most of the things I've complained about become easier to overlook. Colin's more forthright and robust Doctor becomes more appealing once they forget all the earlier nonsense. By the end, he's putting me in mind of Bill Hartnell, which is certainly no bad thing.
The only other thing I don't like is the flippant, self-referential writing towards the end, which seems to be aimed squarely at an audience who disapproved of the direction in which the Doctor was being taken. I've never been keen on self-awareness in fiction, but at least in this instance it's at least all wrapped up by the end of this story, and Dr Who feels ready to go forward again and just get on with some straightforward adventuring with Colin at the helm.
Overall, I enjoyed what Peter Davison brought to the role, especially this time around. The slightly youthful energy, and a kind of infectious optimism was quite appealing. But by the end of this story, Colin has already established a different kind of energy of his own, and there's an edge of confidence about the Doctor that already has me remembering why he's my favourite '80s Doctor.
This story may not be the best of starts, but it's not all bad either. Previously, it's always been very definitely at the lower end of my ratings. Before today, I thought of this as a 2 or 3/10 story at best. Yes, it's still not great. It has weaknesses and things that I don't like, but some things I've appreciated a bit more this time round. I wouldn't go mad for it, but on balance I think 5/10 is a fair score, and I look forward to revisiting the rest of his tenure.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Ludders wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 am
Thin Ice

The Twin Dilemma
"Thin Ice" was utterly unmemorable, perhaps not the worst NuWho episode, but still in dullard city. Apart from the frozen Thames and Victorian outfits I honestly can't remember a single thing about it.

"Twin Dilemma" -Hardly one of the Classic Series shining moments, which like "Warriors Of The Deep" that opened the season has a woefully shit budget and suffers from really crap and stale direction. The Twins, Lang, and that stupid birdman thing are all dreadful badly acted characters, straight out of the Williams era. I actually liked the Doctor/crisis stuff and felt that it's only really the Doctor/Peri interplay along with Azmaels death scene which saves this.

Not a great opening debut story for a new Doctor, however I find it slightly less dull than Davisons first story even if it does have an extremely poor budget.

The Doctor might be manic, over the top and a complete cunt in this, but I find that preferable to him snoozing in a closet for 3 fucking episodes.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

The only thing I remember about Thin Ice was some sixth form PC loony writer putting phrases like "history has been whitewashed" into the Doctor's mouth.
Count Dracula
Reactions:

Post by Count Dracula »

I’m about halfway through the Myth Makers reconstruction, and bloody hell Loosecannon uses some unflattering images for the caste in this one. Though I’m betting they didn’t have much choice.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Knock Knock

Ok nothing fantastic, but I didn’t mind this one THAT much.
On the one hand, yes it’s a bit of paint by numbers ‘spooky’ episode, but it was reasonably atmospheric, and benefited from a good guest performance from David Suchet.
I’ll give this 5/10, which by NuPu standards is a very high score. 😆

Attack of the Cybermen

I enjoyed seeing this again as it’s been ages.
Despite the Cybermen still being a bit crap, this is much better than Earthshock. Thankfully Colin’s Doctor has got all that post regen nonsense out of his system, and his portrayal is excellent. I really like this Doctor. Energetic, confident, and a refreshing change from the sometimes overly earnest Davison version.
Stammering Peri’s handwringing is still annoying, and plot is nothing to write home about, but it’s an enjoyable enough romp. The violence doesn’t particularly bother me, but the fake blood seems strangely out of place in Dr Who. It’s not a deal breaker though; it just seems a bit contrived.
Overall though, definitely a good one. 7.5/10.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Ludders wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm
Knock Knock

Ok nothing fantastic, but I didn’t mind this one THAT much.
On the one hand, yes it’s a bit of paint by numbers ‘spooky’ episode, but it was reasonably atmospheric, and benefited from a good guest performance from David Suchet.
I’ll give this 5/10, which by NuPu standards is a very high score. 😆

Attack of the Cybermen

I enjoyed seeing this again as it’s been ages.
Despite the Cybermen still being a bit crap, this is much better than Earthshock. Thankfully Colin’s Doctor has got all that post regen nonsense out of his system, and his portrayal is excellent. I really like this Doctor. Energetic, confident, and a refreshing change from the sometimes overly earnest Davison version.
Stammering Peri’s handwringing is still annoying, and plot is nothing to write home about, but it’s an enjoyable enough romp. The violence doesn’t particularly bother me, but the fake blood seems strangely out of place in Dr Who. It’s not a deal breaker though; it just seems a bit contrived.
Overall though, definitely a good one. 7.5/10.
Curious to ask, Ludders. Do you plan on transitioning to the 60s stories once you finish the 80s, or will you proceed to your Dalek marathon instead?

Good reviews, by the way. Knock Knock isn’t too bad overall, no (beyond the usual crap copout twee fairytale style ending)- I’d probably say that series 10 itself is the most bearable Capaldi season. It’s still not very good, of course, but it’s not as downright indulgent or consistently awful as series 9. And Attack is sorely underrated too.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

First 2 eps of Armageddon Factor. Mucho enjoyablo.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Bertrand Marx wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:34 pm
Curious to ask, Ludders. Do you plan on transitioning to the 60s stories once you finish the 80s, or will you proceed to your Dalek marathon instead?

Good reviews, by the way. Knock Knock isn’t too bad overall, no (beyond the usual crap copout twee fairytale style ending)- I’d probably say that series 10 itself is the most bearable Capaldi season. It’s still not very good, of course, but it’s not as downright indulgent or consistently awful as series 9. And Attack is sorely underrated too.
Yes, I'm going to go back to the 60s first. I hadn't really thought about doing a chronological type thing initially, but it just kinda turned out that way. So yeah, I'll double back to Hartnell and then finish on Troughton before launching the Dalek marathon. I haven't decided yet whether I can be bothered with the Missing Stories that only exist on audio or recon, but I'll definitely be including Masterplan and Evil in the Dalek marathon.
Talking of which; I might do the NuPu Dalek stories concurrently rather than chronological, seeing as most of the NuPu ones are varying levels of crap. Then at least it won't just whimper out into a 'mehrathon', as Rob described it. :D

Series 10, Yes I'm only 4 eps in, but so far it's main crime is tedium, rather than being outright annoying/offensive. I haven't got the love for Capaldi's Doctor either. He's still nowhere near as 'Doctor-ish' as early Matt Smith if you ask me. Visually he looks the best, but he hasn't got the mannerisms.

And now, I'm also curious to ask: What's your opinion of Colin's Doctor? How do you rate him in the grand scheme of things? And what's your take on Attack of the Cybs?
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Ludders wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:37 pm
Yes, I'm going to go back to the 60s first. I hadn't really thought about doing a chronological type thing initially, but it just kinda turned out that way. So yeah, I'll double back to Hartnell and then finish on Troughton before launching the Dalek marathon. I haven't decided yet whether I can be bothered with the Missing Stories that only exist on audio or recon, but I'll definitely be including Masterplan and Evil in the Dalek marathon.
Talking of which; I might do the NuPu Dalek stories concurrently rather than chronological, seeing as most of the NuPu ones are varying levels of crap. Then at least it won't just whimper out into a 'mehrathon', as Rob described it. :D

Series 10, Yes I'm only 4 eps in, but so far it's main crime is tedium, rather than being outright annoying/offensive. I haven't got the love for Capaldi's Doctor either. He's still nowhere near as 'Doctor-ish' as early Matt Smith if you ask me. Visually he looks the best, but he hasn't got the mannerisms.

And now, I'm also curious to ask: What's your opinion of Colin's Doctor? How do you rate him in the grand scheme of things? And what's your take on Attack of the Cybs?
I’d include the missing stories personally, although I don’t tend to reach for them anywhere near as often as surviving stories for obvious reasons even if they happen to be superb. The inconvenience of the audio/recon format doesn’t always make for the best experience. That said, a story like Daleks’ Master Plan, Evil of the Daleks and Fury from the Deep are the ones that I’ll opt for the most in recon/audio format due to how bloody good they are.

The NuWho Dalek stories are mostly crap, whereas most of the TruWho Dalek stories are actually really rather good. There are only a few I don’t like too much. Moffat’s Dalek stories are probably the worst, although I never got the love for Dalek despite it being one of the better NuWho Dalek efforts (and I wouldn’t call myself a massive NuWho hater either when compared to others here).

Capaldi’s alright, but your point about early Smith certainly stands. There is a unique facet to his physical performance that elevates him above the rest of the NuWho Doctors- his somewhat disjointed physicality easily renders him the most alien NuWho Doctor, in a manner reflective of Troughton or McCoy in certain respects. Although Capaldi is the more respected actor and probably the better actor overall, Smith is easily the best physical performer of the NuWho Doctors- he captures that vintage “out of time” quality in a manner that the rest are essentially clueless on, especially RTD’s Doctors who come across as quite quotidian in their physical performances (and don’t get me started on Whittaker). He obviously became more dumbed down and NuWho lite over time, but as a physical performer he’s light years above the rest as far as I’m concerned.

I really like Colin Baker’s iteration and never understood why he was so hated. He’s especially good in season 22, when his more acidic side is allowed to fester to the surface. He’s definitely more watered down himself in season 23 (a fairly crap and neutered season as it is), but there is a very verbose bravura quality to his Doctor. He’s easily amongst the most eloquently spoken and conducted incarnations- a stark contrast to the typical NuWho template where any verbal exuberance or verbosity is completely lost.
Count Dracula
Reactions:

Post by Count Dracula »

Bertrand Marx wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 pm
Ludders wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:37 pm

I’d include the missing stories personally, although I don’t tend to reach for them anywhere near as often as surviving stories for obvious reasons even if they happen to be superb. The inconvenience of the audio/recon format doesn’t always make for the best experience. That said, a story like Daleks’ Master Plan, Evil of the Daleks and Fury from the Deep are the ones that I’ll opt for the most in recon/audio format due to how bloody good they are.

The NuWho Dalek stories are mostly crap, whereas most of the TruWho Dalek stories are actually really rather good. There are only a few I don’t like too much. Moffat’s Dalek stories are probably the worst, although I never got the love for Dalek despite it being one of the better NuWho Dalek efforts (and I wouldn’t call myself a massive NuWho hater either when compared to others here).

Capaldi’s alright, but your point about early Smith certainly stands. There is a unique facet to his physical performance that elevates him above the rest of the NuWho Doctors- his somewhat disjointed physicality easily renders him the most alien NuWho Doctor, in a manner reflective of Troughton or McCoy in certain respects. Although Capaldi is the more respected actor and probably the better actor overall, Smith is easily the best physical performer of the NuWho Doctors- he captures that vintage “out of time” quality in a manner that the rest are essentially clueless on, especially RTD’s Doctors who come across as quite quotidian in their physical performances (and don’t get me started on Whittaker). He obviously became more dumbed down and NuWho lite over time, but as a physical performer he’s light years above the rest as far as I’m concerned.

I really like Colin Baker’s iteration and never understood why he was so hated. He’s especially good in season 22, when his more acidic side is allowed to fester to the surface. He’s definitely more watered down himself in season 23 (a fairly crap and neutered season as it is), but there is a very verbose bravura quality to his Doctor. He’s easily amongst the most eloquently spoken and conducted incarnations- a stark contrast to the typical NuWho template where any verbal exuberance or verbosity is completely lost.
From what I’ve heard, so I could be wrong, Colin’s first season was actually well received in broadcast. Yes Twin Dilemma had sowered the waters a bit but not enough to hurt the show.

It the revisionist self hating fans from back then who started to think that and then poisoned all future fans against Colin. A lot of the problems with season 23 & 24 can be blamed mostly on Grade and co’s shoulders for trying to cancel the show, then interfering with it. They then had the front to blame the show itself and shit weasels fans like Chinballs jumped on the bandwagon.