What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Ludders
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Ludders »

Oxygen

Back the boring, formulaic stuff. Zombies in space... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-| 0/10

Vengeance on Varos

I've always had rather mixed feelings about this one, although broadly speaking I do consider it a good effort.
I think the themes that it touches on are very good, but the story does tend to drag a bit, particularly in Episode 2. Meanwhile, some of the performances, in particular Martin Jarvis and Steven Yardley are very good. Unfortunately, on the other side of the coin; Jason Connery is a wooden as it gets, and much as I've tried to warm to Nabil Shaban's Sil, I just find the character rather laughable because the performance is so panto.
Varos is definitely a mixed bag. I definitely like the more adult tone, and I like the story that it's trying to tell, but I just think it fails a bit in the execution. As for Colin and Nicola, I still think he's very good, but she's not very good.
Overall, I think it's got more going for it than not, but I'd struggle to give it more than 6.5/10.
MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Caught up with The Faceless Ones. Better than I think this is traditionally rated in polls although the solution to the threat is a bit meh. I expected it to drag like many 6 parters of the era but it didn't weigh so heavily for me. Interesting to see the animated episode had an episode for Magpie Electricals (The Idiot's Lantern) in Gatwick airport which is one of those nice old-new Who connections (though some will no doubt blame 'fathead'). Also interesting to see the departure of Ben and Polly include a very dated sexist statement by the Doctor on how Ben could become an Admiral and Polly could look after him. So both the first two Doctors portray the attitudes of the time.
Rebutting Rob's ridiculous rantings since 2004
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm
Caught up with The Faceless Ones. Better than I think this is traditionally rated in polls although the solution to the threat is a bit meh. I expected it to drag like many 6 parters of the era but it didn't weigh so heavily for me. Interesting to see the animated episode had an episode for Magpie Electricals (The Idiot's Lantern) in Gatwick airport which is one of those nice old-new Who connections (though some will no doubt blame 'fathead'). Also interesting to see the departure of Ben and Polly include a very dated sexist statement by the Doctor on how Ben could become an Admiral and Polly could look after him. So both the first two Doctors portray the attitudes of the time.
Did you spot the wanted poster with Delgado and the new Master on it?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/Ssorg/postreactions/notification/type/reaction.php on line 95: sprintf(): Too few arguments
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Darth Rawkus wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 pm
MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm
Did you spot the wanted poster with Delgado and the new Master on it?
Missed that.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

I think you should throw the DVD in the bin and listen to the soundtrack cd instead Rani.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Rob Filth wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 pm
I think you should throw the DVD in the bin and listen to the soundtrack cd instead Rani.

That would be very silly
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm
Rob Filth wrote:

That would be very silly
But you claimed you didn't like recons and the soundtracks on their own were far more superior?

MistressRani
Reactions:

Post by MistressRani »

Rob Filth wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:08 pm
MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm
Rob Filth wrote:

That would be very silly
But you claimed you didn't like recons and the soundtracks on their own were far more superior?
These aren't recons, they are full animations and the soundtracks are superior for particular occasions. Both have their merits.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

MistressRani wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:56 pm
These aren't recons, they are full animations and the soundtracks are superior for particular occasions. Both have their merits.
They ARE recons however Rani, animated Recons.

They are reconstructions of the originally wiped video tapes otherwise your Fathead references to "Magpies Electronics" etc wouldn't be present within them.

Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:08 pm
Jason Connery is as wooden as it gets
With Nicola dressed the way she was I don't think you can blame the lad.