What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

English Giraffe
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by English Giraffe »

The Time Meddler: One of my favourite Hartnell stories. Besides the witty and snappy dialogue from 1, The Saxons and Vicki, there's brilliant direction from Douglas Camfield that truly makes the story come alive, even though it is filmed at a studio. And the Meddling Monk is just so much fun as a villain, with his plan surprisingly being realistic (just perverting history not for being evil, but for just having a laugh) and that final shot is one of the most invigorating shots in the franchise. Love this one.
Checkmate end.jpg
Checkmate end.jpg (119.5 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Frontios, it is a very well-structured story. It never feels padded or slow and the mystery of who would be attacking for a decade and then finding out the enemy is below is superb, as Bidmead likes to remind us on the DVD extras. I like the sense of Taphophobia that pervades through the first half of this till the reveal of the Tractators. The fear of being buried alive and the threat coming from beneath rather than raining down from above actually comes from indigenous life on the planet.

Bidmead was really turning things on their head with this one. It is also odd that the Doctor sympathises with the ruling classes more than the animalistc rets. They do great for the budget and the lighting is mostly superb, except for that bit on the roof of the structure. It is a bit odd when Brazen is questioning the Range about the secrets he has kept cos he was ordered to, but it’s a bloody good story and underrated. The only thing that could have improved it is having McCoy as the Doctor.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/Ssorg/postreactions/notification/type/reaction.php on line 95: sprintf(): Too few arguments
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
UncleDeadly
Reactions:

Post by UncleDeadly »

Darth Rawkus wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 pm
Frontios, it is a very well-structured story. It never feels padded or slow and the mystery of who would be attacking for a decade and then finding out the enemy is below is superb, as Bidmead likes to remind us on the DVD extras. I like the sense of Taphophobia that pervades through the first half of this till the reveal of the Tractators. The fear of being buried alive and the threat coming from beneath rather than raining down from above actually comes from indigenous life on the planet.

Bidmead was really turning things on their head with this one. It is also odd that the Doctor sympathises with the ruling classes more than the animalistc rets. They do great for the budget and the lighting is mostly superb, except for that bit on the roof of the structure. It is a bit odd when Brazen is questioning the Range about the secrets he has kept cos he was ordered to, but it’s a bloody good story and underrated. The only thing that could have improved it is having McCoy as the Doctor.

Now this one i really need to rewatch. I think i've only seen it once but remember it being very good. Could it be Bidmead's best story...?

I love that interview. Whatever one thinks of Bidmead's writing you have to admit the man has guts and integrity. Both rare commodities these days, sadly...
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

UncleDeadly wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Could it be Bidmead's best story?
Absolutely no doubt about it.
Although that's as much of a comment about his other stories as it is about Frontios.
If I didn't know, I would never have guessed that it was a Bidmead story.
UncleDeadly
Reactions:

Post by UncleDeadly »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 pm
UncleDeadly wrote:
Although that's as much of a comment about his other stories as it is about Frontios.
Yeah. If memory serves, he seemed to finally get his head around the horror elements that are such an integral part of the series' DNA. Something that was lacking in his previous stories and meant that his work lacked edge. That Tractator mining machine powered with human body parts is a wonderful piece of grotesquerie... :lol:
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Now spinning: 'An Unearthly Child'. Billy's excellent, support are too and the stone age stuff which I was dreading is really not as much padding as I expected. Haven't seen it all for around 10 years, nice to get the total picture again. 4/5 Next up: 'The Daleks'.
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 pm
UncleDeadly wrote:
I never quite got Bidmead's reputation for Hard SF, Castrovalva for example. He based it on M.C. Eshser's drawing, not very SF if you ask me.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/Ssorg/postreactions/notification/type/reaction.php on line 95: sprintf(): Too few arguments
BillPatJonTom
Reactions:

Post by BillPatJonTom »

Terror of the Autons

A dynamic start to a season, with obviously one of the best villains of the classic era getting a splendid arrival and those scary as fuck Autons making a welcome return...

Now admittedly it doesn't look quite as polished as the shot-on-film Spearhead from Space did the previous season and the excessive CSO hasn't dated well at all (although to be fair it probably didn't look quite as bad in black and white as many audiences watching at the time wouldn't necessarily have owned colour television sets yet). The absence of Liz Shaw is quickly glossed over as well but things rattle along nicely and, even if it's all a bit rough at the edges, the story manages to introduce its new regular characters ( Jo Grant, The Master and Yates) all very successfully.

Interesting that both Roger Delgado and later Anthony Ainley have the radio telescope setting featured in both their first full stories starring as The Master (I'm not counting Keeper of Traken as Ainley plays Nyssa's father for the most part in that one). I really loved how the killer daffodils and sinister clown imagery are featured so effectively here plus there's always enjoyment to be had from Pertwee and Delgado in typically fine form so I definitely enjoyed revisiting this dvd!
the true Who the whole true Who and nothing but the true Who
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

I think Bidmead's "hard SF" rep comes more from him talking himself up than anything else (look at Logopolis with its race of magic wizards changing the universe by using magic words). Truth is Adams had more actual hard SF in his stories than Bidmead ever did, but he was funny too so that doesn't count.
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Now spinning: 'The Daleks'. I used to think 1-3 great, 4-7 padding. But this spin I've been pretty happy with 1-4. 5 is where the padding really kicks in. Still got 6 and 7 to go, but it's still up there around the 4/5 mark, so I'll leave it at that for now...
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'