What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Actually, episode 6 is really hard work and the climax is a damp and overly fast squib...reassessing to 3.5/5.
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

And of course, the game's basically up now...all downhill from here...
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Biroc the Tharil wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:48 am
And of course, the game's basically up now...all downhill from here...
All the rest isn't canon from now on.

It's just a loosely related spin-off.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Biroc the Tharil wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 am
Actually, episode 6 is really hard work and the climax is a damp and overly fast squib...reassessing to 3.5/5.
That’s precisely how I felt on my prior viewing of the story. Episode 6, whilst inoffensive in its own right, is packed with padding throughout and most certainly when the story lags the most. However, the unparalleled atmosphere during the story’s early instalments, the ingenuity of the conceit of the Dalek City (clearly influenced by Fritz Lang’s “Metropolis”), the realisation of the Daleks themselves and Tristram Cary’s sublime electronic score all elevate it to classic status regardless, I’d say.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Extremis / The Pyramid at the End of the World / The Lie of the Land

The 'Monks Trilogy' wasn't as bad as many other episodes from the Moffat era, but ultimately disappointing as usual. Extremis was boring, and although The Pyramid at the End of the World was quite intriguing for a while; The Lie of the Land fell back on the usual NuPu emo/mush resolution, and to top it off; the reappearance of the ridiculous 'Missy', eye-rolled away any chance of this trilogy receiving a score any higher than 2/10.

The Mark of the Rani

This has never been a great favourite even though it has all the ingredients of a good story; once again the plot and its execution is very belaboured. The location shooting is very well done, and the performances are generally good, but it's just not particularly exciting. I must admit though that I'm not a fan any of Pip and Jane's stories, though I think this is their best effort, even if they over-egged the pudding having both The Master and The Rani double act.
I've previously rated this as low as 3/10, but the verve that Colin puts into his performance alone, is enough to raise it up to 5/10. It may seem harsh, but I find it rather average overall.
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

'The Edge of Destruction'. In some ways, episode 1 sets up the idea that the programme could seriously dick with the Tardis set, showing it in all kinds intriguing shots (and not always showing roundels of course). In a weird way it reminds me of Star Trek's 'The Menagerie' in the sense that rather early on in the programme, the premise of trust in key characters/all characters (in the Who) is undermined which seems quite innovative and bold - though I guess the way these series were commissioned back then would mean that the production team would not be thinking of the programme in terms of many seasons and longevity! The inside/outside metaphor is a bit cute, but works fine, and the 4 leads do enough to deliver a difficult 'contained' script and scenario. Padding, but well done padding across the 2 episodes. 3/5
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

City of Death. One of the most perfect DW stories. Lalla doesn't half look nice in that school uniform too (cough, splutter).
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

iank wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:12 am
City of Death. One of the most perfect DW stories. Lalla doesn't half look nice in that school uniform too (cough, splutter).
She'd look a lot nicer if she let loose with a hot jet of piss through her knickers whilst wearing it in the story.

Even more so, if it were from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Rob Filth wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:10 am
iank wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:12 am
She'd look a lot nicer if she let loose with a hot jet of piss through her knickers whilst wearing it in the story.

Even more so, if it were from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
😂
Photoshop is your friend. 😂
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Empress of Mars

Mark Gatiss is basically the Tarantino of NuWho. He bundles together various tropes from films of of his youth and shoehorns everything together into the NuPu format. This particular derivative medley wasn't too offensive. Compared to much other NuPu shite, it's palatable if nothing special. At least the Ice Warriors have been reasonably well represented in his two stories. It's still not much of a script though; I couldn't give this episode more than 4/10.

The Two Doctors

A story that I've always had mixed feelings about. It's always been my contention that Colin was landed with rather a lot of mediocre stories during his tv tenure, and from that point of view, this is one of his better ones; but by Robert Holmes' usual standards, this is not one of his best. Frankly, it's too drawn out. It's the classic '6 episodes that should've been 4' situation. (Or in this case 3 that should've been 2)
It's really the performances that save this story from the depths of mediocrity. Most notably of course Patrick Troughton, and then Colin himself, and then John Stratton and Laurence Payne. I struggle to include Frazer Hines.... all I can say is that he's no worse than usual...
The Sontarans are particulary ineffectual, both visually and performance wise. In fact, with the comedic Shockeye, and Jackie Pearce in her slightly usual camp persona, this feels very much like a S15 story; which in some respects is not necessarily a bad thing, but it shows that shoehorned violence is not the same as genuine menace. It has to feel, but like Attack the Cybermen before; it just feels a bit contrived.
All in all though, I enjoyed it a bit more than I have in the past, even if it did start to flag in the second half. It's worth it for the Troughton scenes alone.
I'll give this 6.5/10.