What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Ludders
Reactions:

Re: What Doctor who DVDs are you watching today?

Post by Ludders »

The Eaters of Light

Bill gets trapped in a cave with a bunch of twinks that are supposed to pass for Roman soldiers. Things happen. People say stuff. Ludders goes to sleep. 0/10

Timelash

Not a great entry in the Dr Who canon, but not as bad as its reputation suggests. It's fairly typical of Coin's tenure, if you ask me. Not exactly a riveting plot, with poor visual effects, but the performances are mostly good. 5/10.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Ludders wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:34 am
The Eaters of Light

Bill gets trapped in a cave with a bunch of twinks that are supposed to pass for Roman soldiers. Things happen. People say stuff. Ludders goes to sleep. 0/10
Probably one of the most dullest episodes in all of NuWho.

It makes the likes of Four To Doomsday or even Underworld seem riveting by comparison.

Although that Capaldi one with the fucking trees wasn't far behind it either for pure tedium.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:09 am
Ludders wrote:
The Eaters of Light

It makes the likes of Four To Doomsday or even Underworld seem riveting by comparison.

Although that Capaldi one with the fucking trees wasn't far behind it either for pure tedium.
I was about to say the same thing. I recall it boring me shitless on transmission whilst annoying me in equal measure due to the sheer banality of it all.

Ludders merely has two stories left before Chibnall takes over, and one story left before Twice Upon a Turd. I wish him the best of luck going forward. :lol:
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Bertrand Marx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 am
Rob Filth wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:09 am
Ludders wrote:
The Eaters of Light

I was about to say the same thing. I recall it boring me shitless on transmission whilst annoying me in equal measure due to the sheer banality of it all.

Ludders merely has two stories left before Chibnall takes over, and one story left before Twice Upon a Turd. I wish him the best of luck going forward. :lol:
I must admit to a certain amount of curiosity about the finale with the Mondasian Cybermen.
Not that have any high hopes for it, because Moffat is duty bound to have made it shit. I’m not expecting Spare Parts.... 😆
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Ludders wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 am
I must admit to a certain amount of curiosity about the finale with the Mondasian Cybermen.
Not that have any high hopes for it, because Moffat is duty bound to have made it shit. I’m not expecting Spare Parts.... 😆
The first 10 minutes or so are utter shit, with Missy at her absolute worst. After that, as far as I’m concerned, it gets a hell of a lot better and reverts into something else for about 40 minutes, for once actually indulging in slow building atmosphere and genuine body horror. The scenes where you see the Mondasian Cybermen in their early stages are very well done. The story naturally falls flat on its arse at the end, and I feel as if the second half of the story is essentially wasted potential for what could and should have been an excellent Cybermen origin story, but I’d say it’s Moffat’s best finale. The Cybermen themselves are great in it.

And no- it’s obviously nowhere near as good as Spare Parts, and it is definitely shit in places as I acknowledged.
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Recently watched the entirety of Dalrk’s Master Plan and was very impressed all the way through. Aside from the Christmas Special, which was still light years better then any modern rubbish, this story comes across as a better version of The Chase.

The story is tighter but the times it goes off on a tangent, like the Monk’s returning episode, don’t bog down the story or make it feel choppy like The Chase did. Mavic Chen is a great antagonist and a great counterpoint to the Daleks.

Best of all is the sense of threat the story has. Three companions in the story all die in horrible ways and for good. None of your fix all rubbish writing here. The costly victory ending is something totally beyond NuWho.
Eldred
Reactions:

Post by Eldred »

I started the DVD of Tenth Planet last night - only got through part 2, but looking forward to seeing the animated version of part 4.
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

On to 'The Keys of Marinus'.

Episode 1: WTF is Ian wearing? Nice colour TV joke. External Tardis model looks fucked already. Key to Time precursor (obvs) and standard context development.
Episode 2: Relatively dull at points, Barbara very good here and the surreal aspects are well done (especially the camera work).
Episode 3: WTF is going on? And WTF is Ian still wearing that shit for? Plant attack - shows that technical aspects of this type of shot hadn't improved even by 'Seeds of Doom'. Borefest.
Episode 4: Demons: excellent precursors of the Gundan in 'Warriors' Gate', even the way they come to life and have the heavy swords. Superb. First half of the episode is flam/drags, but good once we get to the key in the ice...
Episode 5: Nice slip to interior set...Billy's reappearance is nicely done...then - it turns into Perry fucking Mason. Nice that Susan uses 'fantastic' to mean 'unbelievable' (them were the days) and she's still spinning the 'grandfather' line when we all know she's really Clara Oswald. ;)
Episode 6: Decent conclusion, standard Terry Nation stuff really...

I'm going with 4/5 despite episode 3 being utter shit since the good bits are really very fine indeed.
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

Finished the Massacre of St. Bartholomew’s Eve last night. What a grim story to follow up on the Daleks Master Plan. You’d think they’d lighten it up a bit after such a long, dark story but not the show wants a few more kicks to the groin before hand.

To get the low points out of the way, the ending borders on NuWho levels of contrived and is then Dodo joins the series. So called because she should be as dead as one given that she’s so stupid she’d lose in a battle of wits with a stuffed iguana. I’ve actually seen a NuWho fan’s review of this episode and used that crap shows writing to justify this.

Another issue is that our characters have very little influence or interaction with the plot. This story plays out more like a strait historical drama then a historical Doctor Who episode. That’s not to say it’s bad but it results in Steven running around not doing much. None even meets the King of France, were as in the Reign of Terror the Doctor met Robespierre.

That all said the story continues the threatening aura of Master Plan very well. Steven is alone and in constant danger. The Doctor has disappeared, after meeting a man who was persecuted for his scientific theories, an abbot who looks just like him appears and is then killed. Given all that occurred before,I can imagine Some people believing that possibly the Doctor has been slain, what with the so many deaths in the last story.

The best part of all is the Doctor’s little speech to himself when it looks like Steven has left him. He sounds so lonely, defeated and weary. It’s easily one of my favourite Hartnell Doctor moments.

On the whole a good, Grimm story, all be it with a crap conclusion.
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Next up: The Aztecs

Episode 1: Opening seems to have influenced 'Pyramids of Mars' haha. Hill is excellent here as is the exposition though some of Lucarotti's script is verbose. It is historically grounded though and the music score is superb. Ian becomes a warrior. Bit like Rory all that time later. Or not like that at all.
Episode 2: Carries on apace - fight scene is pretty good despite the shite moving mats. Lighting effective throughout this episode (and most of next 2 as well). Episode 3: Script goes a bit OTT here. Mind you, Billy is flirting so what's not to like...
Episode 4: Lots of suspense and great stuff from Bill Russell - reunion with the Doc works well. Some great marimba scoring here too. Billy loses the bird, sad times.

Overall: it retains attention well enough, not stellar, 3.5/5 for me.
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'