What do YOU think Fathead did to piss off Eccles?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Rob Filth
Reactions:

Re: What do YOU think Fathead did to piss off Eccles?

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm
Rob Filth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm
Eccleston had a strop during "The Unquiet Dead", the original plan was to dress him in victorian garb for the story but because Eccleston wanted to look like a fucking twit navvy instead they had to rewrite several scenes including the "Am wearing mah joompah" one to Rose in the TARDIS.
I can see that happening, but I swear that Aliens of London was shot first?

That scene in Unquiet Dead where he first talks to Charles Dickens is extremely noteworthy for its colloquialisms “I’m such a big fan...Mind you...Was that just padding or wot? It’s rubbish, that bit!”, and definitely jars with Dickens’ well-spoken nature, despite the fact that the Doctor is supposed to be a greater intellect. It’s not a bad story beyond that, but those aspects to it do grate.

Eccleston did constantly go on about trying to avoid the upper-class “RP” stereotype in that BBC interview back in the day, so I can see him doing that.
Yeah "Aliens" was shot first with Eccles "Who write this shit?" outburst and then the difficulties on "Unquiet Dead" followed.

I find it strange why Eccles was so insistent on making the Doctor a colloquial twit, he's never had problems playing gentlemen before. I think it just boils down to a lack of understanding of the central character but as Eccleston admits, he never watched the programme anyway because he was too busy outside playing football instead.

He regarded the programme as a snobs programme.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:37 pm
Rob Filth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Could've been an outright classic but for that fucking twit.
Yep! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gatiss script is surprisingly good and there's excellent casting and production values and a stupid gormless fucking twit has to come marching through fucking the whole thing up.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 pm
Yeah "Aliens" was shot first with Eccles "Who write this shit?" outburst and then the difficulties on "Unquiet Dead" followed.

I find it strange why Eccles was so insistent on making the Doctor a colloquial twit, he's never had problems playing gentlemen before. I think it just boils down to a lack of understanding of the central character but as Eccleston admits, he never watched the programme anyway because he was too busy outside playing football instead.

He regarded the programme as a snobs programme.
Part of me always assumed it was RTD given what Tennant was like. He’s rather good when he’s actually in character, but for large chunks of his era, he’s either behaving like a lothario teenage caricature, or in this case, using cringeworthy colloquial terms.

“Go on, mah son!”
“Oh, you beauty-ah!”
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:43 pm
Part of me always assumed it was RTD given what Tennant was like. He’s rather good when he’s actually in character, but for large chunks of his era, he’s either behaving like a lothario teenage caricature, or in this case, using cringeworthy colloquial terms.

“Go on, mah son!”
“Oh, you beauty-ah!”
OMG! Don't remind me! Please, I'm trying to forget that shit.

Now I'm going to have to try and bleach it from my memory again.

It's why I refuse to watch Jodies shit.

"Eeeee ah fell owt me TARDIS"

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:46 pm

OMG! Don't remind me! Please, I'm trying to forget that shit.

Now I'm going to have to try and bleach it from my memory again.

It's why I refuse to watch Jodies shit.

"Eeeee ah fell owt me TARDIS"
Oh, she is worse. In Tennant’s case, he fluctuated. In Jodie’s case, she always communicates in that precise manner. Every line of dialogue, regardless of its original scripting intention, comes across as equally patronising due to the crass delivery.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:03 pm
Oh, she is worse. In Tennant’s case, he fluctuated. In Jodie’s case, she always communicates in that precise manner. Every line of dialogue, regardless of its original scripting intention, comes across as equally patronising due to the crass delivery.
I think I quit at the right time.

It's mad because although I didn't enjoy the McCoy era or the panto seasons of Season 23 and 24, I still saw it out to the bitter end - with NuWho though it successfully managed to finish me off after watching literally every single episode of both Classic Series and Nu Who(including all related spin offs) right up to Capaldi's end - that's quite some testimony to the utter contempt the production teams have shown life long and loyal fans who will usually hang in there until the end and see a programme through thick and thin.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 pm
I think I quit at the right time.

It's mad because although I didn't enjoy the McCoy era or the panto seasons of Season 23 and 24, I still saw it out to the bitter end - with NuWho though it successfully managed to finish me off after watching literally every single episode of both Classic Series and Nu Who(including all related spin offs) right up to Capaldi's end - that's quite some testimony to the utter contempt the production teams have shown life long and loyal fans who will usually hang in there until the end and see a programme through thick and thin.
You did quit at the correct time. Suffice to say that I’ve found absolutely no enjoyment from this era from what I’ve seen of it, nor have I deciphered anything that I’d regard as halfway decent writing or characterisation. RTD and Moffat has their obvious abundances of flaws, but there was usually at least something there that encouraged me. Whether it be the occasional very good episode or just the performance of the lead actor (as was the case during Moffat’s tenure), regardless of how poor much of it may have been, there was usually some semblance of quality scattered here and there.

Earlier NuWho (and the panto seasons 23 and 24 you refer to) may have often slipped into vacuity, anti-intellectualism or plain shiteness, but it was never quite as crushingly lethargic, barren or joyless at it remains in its current state. I’ve nary seen a franchise sink so low.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm
You did quit at the correct time.
To be honest, I was only just hanging in there by a thread during Capaldi's last series after his dire middle one.

But Chinballs getting the showrunner chair, and the utter slap in the face of "Twice Upon a Time" was enough and I thought, "Fuck this shit, I've had a fill, I'm off"

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:58 pm
Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm
You did quit at the correct time.
To be honest, I was only just hanging in there by a thread during Capaldi's last series after his dire middle one.

But Chinballs getting the showrunner chair, and the utter slap in the face of "Twice Upon a Time" was enough and I thought, "Fuck this shit, I've had a fill, I'm off"
Christ, series 9 was indeed shite. It was during that period when I started repeatedly missing episodes on transmission. Series 10 was OK, but I was generally burnt out then too, though I did quite enjoy the finale at the time (whether I’d enjoy it now remains to be seen). I don’t know why I didn’t have the same thought as you after Twice upon a Twat given that I recall vividly thinking it was awful at the time. I knew Chibnall would be shite instantly, contrary to some desperate souls out there. 😂

Then again, I think most of us are done with NuPoo as it is. Rani isn’t, I suppose, but that’s only to be expected. :lol: :lol:
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:02 pm
Christ, series 9 was indeed shite. It was during that period when I started repeatedly missing episodes on transmission. Series 10 was OK, but I was generally burnt out then too, though I did quite enjoy the finale at the time (whether I’d enjoy it now remains to be seen). I don’t know why I didn’t have the same thought as you after Twice upon a Twat given that I recall vividly thinking it was awful at the time.
Twice Upon A Twat was just so personally insulting to original fans who watched the Hartnell era and such an abusive slap in the face to the long term audience, they didn't even need the double whammy of a regenderation to finish me off at the end.

I think I decided "That's it, I'm done" with the shit before Jodies gormless gurning face even popped up looking like a complete cunt. I certainly wasn't going to wait around until she put on her dodgy kids entertainer paedo Mork suit.
Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:02 pm
Then again, I think most of us are done with NuPoo as it is. Rani isn’t, I suppose, but that’s only to be expected. :lol: :lol:
I'm not completely surprised by that, he'll watch any old rubbish and happily soak it up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: