The Hive discuss possibility of a female Doctor in 2007

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Rob Filth
Reactions:

The Hive discuss possibility of a female Doctor in 2007

Post by Rob Filth »

Interesting thread here where in 2007 the Hive discuss the Sun banging on for the umpteenth time about Fathead considering a female fucking Doctor.

http://leisurehive.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Sadako is surprisingly subdued and in normal mode for once(he'd probably not long joined the forum)

More tellingly, Rani boldly proclaims: "For what it's worth I think it would be a bad decision to have a female doctor"

Facts Rani, FACTS!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Re: The Hive discuss possibility of a female Doctor in 2007

Post by Bertrand Marx »

I quite like this section:

Rob: I'm surprised Rani isn't here yet to say what fucking fantastic news this is.

B: "Let's just wait and see.

This is fantastic news.

What a coup for the show." Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?”

It seems that very little has changed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm
I quite like this section:

Rob: I'm surprised Rani isn't here yet to say what fucking fantastic news this is.

B: "Let's just wait and see.

This is fantastic news.

What a coup for the show." Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?”

It seems that very little has changed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Every time someone stumbled across a disturbing or disastrous news release which we'd dissected as being the absolute end of the universe, we'd always patiently wait for Rani to come bounding in to cheer us all up again.

Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

One thing which strikes me from this thread from 2007 was the relentless and consistent pressure and emphasise the Murdoch media put on the production team to cast a female Doctor, despite the fact that such a move was completely against the already clearly defined conventions and limitations of regeneration and completely out of kilter with established continuity.

It's why when people take this DailyMail faux-outrage response and bang on about gender-flipping regenderation being a ploy purely to satisfy SJW's, they look a bit stupid.

It wasn't, it was purely a move to amuse and appease Murdoch and his obsessive agenda to trivialise transgenders in his tawdry tabloids, which was why he liked Tom Baker's original mischievous suggestion so much back in 1980.

So thanks for fucking up the programme for good Rupert, you can go back to ripping the outright fucking piss out of it again now.

TheBowieDoctor
Reactions:

Post by TheBowieDoctor »

I never invested in this idea, not ever. You could have cast Robyn Wright in the role, I still wouldn't have been into the concept because, as events have proven, it's nothing but pure stunt casting to cash in a trend. Jodie Whittaker's casting did nothing for creativity and provided nothing new in terms of story telling.

I'd also like to add this: i don't think the show's current problems began with Chibnall or even the casting of Whittaker. They certainly contributed, but it's not sowing seeds of doom (pun semi-intended). I've always been of the view that the show's problems started with The War Doctor. Yes, John Hurt played the role outstandingly and i'm glad he had a role in the show during its prime and I even like the dialogue that was written for him. But, the convenience of side-stepping the difficulties of re-casting Eccleston established a precedent which allowed the writers and producers to simply invent incarnations of the Doctor to suit their narrative.

This further enabled the writers to simply tell us that the Timelords have no concept of gender (as seen in the Rassilon regeneration and Capaldi's chat with Bill concerning the Master/Missy).

Moving forward to 2019, the First Doctor is no longer the First Doctor and, instead, is the result of a psychotic geneticist.

Changing the Doctor's gender, ironically, boxed the character further into a creative vacuum and reversed the mystery of his intrigue.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

TheBowieDoctor wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:03 am
John Hurt played the role outstandingly and i'm glad he had a role in the show during its prime
In it's prime? You're having a laugh aren't you? The 21st century 're-imagining' doesn't have a prime. It just had a short period when it was slightly less shit, and the occasional half-decent episode. Approximately 1 per season.
And what was so great about Hurt's performance? He seemed like someone just going through the motions to me. There was no sense of investment into the character whatsoever.
TheBowieDoctor
Reactions:

Post by TheBowieDoctor »

Ludders wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:07 am
TheBowieDoctor wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:03 am
John Hurt played the role outstandingly and i'm glad he had a role in the show during its prime
In it's prime? You're having a laugh aren't you? The 21st century 're-imagining' doesn't have a prime. It just had a short period when it was slightly less shit, and the occasional half-decent episode. Approximately 1 per season.
And what was so great about Hurt's performance? He seemed like someone just going through the motions to me. There was no sense of investment into the character whatsoever.
I see it as the Skyfall of the Doctor Who franchise.

Yes, lacking in brain but I thought its heart was in the right place and I enjoyed it.

It's certainly no substitute for The Five Doctors as far as multi-Doctor adventure/anniversary specials are concerned, but I enjoyed it.

John Hurt? i was fine with him.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Further, there was absolutely no need to insert Hurt even when Eccles bailed as, y'know, Paul McGann was standing right there.
Although Hurt is fine, there's no escaping the fact it amounts to wrecking the show's canon for the sake of a bit of stunt casting.
TheBowieDoctor
Reactions:

Post by TheBowieDoctor »

Agreed on McGann, and I do not buy Moffat's reason for not including him.

If anything, the fact that you cannot picture the Eighth Doctor being the one to pull the trigger is reason enough to do it because it already enables you to give the character a fully fleshed out arc as the man who was pushed to do the untenable.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

TheBowieDoctor wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:23 am
If anything, the fact that you cannot picture the Eighth Doctor being the one to pull the trigger is reason enough to do it
The thing is, I COULD picture McGann doing it had he been severely emotionally damaged and radically changed over the course of time, and it would've added greater dramatic impact given how celebratory of life he was when first regenerated.

With John Hurt there was no prior investment in the character, so it meant fuck all.