Who was the most insufferable NuWho Master?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Most insufferable NuWho Master?

John Simm
14%
Michelle Gomez
57%
Sacha Dhawan
29%

Total votes: 14
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Who was the most insufferable NuWho Master?

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Out of the three infamous depictions of the Master in NuWho, which one was the most insufferably portrayed or ineptly conceived overall?

All three have been avidly involved in some of the worst examples of Doctor Who ever written during their respective eras, all three are easily the hammiest and most unrestrained iterations (making Eric Roberts and Anthony Ainley look like Lawrence Olivier in terms of calculated and methodical dramatic timing) and all three are essentially uniformly regarded by classic fandom as appalling, but which iteration is the absolute worst?

I frankly can’t decided between Gomez and Dhawan given how utterly awful their respective characterisations are.
iank
Reactions:

Re: Who was the most insufferable NuWho Master?

Post by iank »

I liked Simm sometimes (he was godawful in End of Time though) and I've never even seen the new one, so Gomez.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

iank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 pm
I liked Simm sometimes (he was godawful in End of Time though) and I've never even seen the new one, so Gomez.
Simm was quite good in series 10 despite his lack of a pronounced presence, yeah. He was more classic series lite in that case, however. I know he had reservations about how RTD wrote him, and End of Time was absolutely his nadir.

“DINNER TIME!!!”. Fuck, it’s so shit.
Last edited by Bertrand Marx on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

Sacha Dhawan. I've seen two clips of him online and I'm absolutely astounded that Chibnall made an even bigger hash of the character than Moffat did. I could never watch him in a full episode.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:52 pm
Sacha Dhawan. I've seen two clips of him online and I'm absolutely astounded that Chibnall made an even bigger hash of the character than Moffat did.
The scene I can vaguely recall from Spyfall where he claps his hands constantly like a constipated seal definitely gave both Simm and Gomez sincere rivalry when it came to abject awful hamminess and insurmountable embarrassment.
Last edited by Bertrand Marx on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Simm's second appearance as the Master, but he redeems himself so much in the series 10 finale. I am not sure If I would count Missy as a Master, but if I did it would be here because of the cartoon characterization. Dhawan is promising in places, but his reveal was way to hammy for me. It's such a mixd bag that I might abstain because I just don't know whether to even count Gomez.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Fuck it, Gomez.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

Haven't seen Sacha yet, but even so, I don't know how the fuck I'm gonna choose when I eventually do. It's like asking whether brown shit is worse than yellow shit.
Last edited by Ludders on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Ludders wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 pm
Haven't seen Sacha yet, but even so, I don't know how the I'm gonna choose when I eventually do. It's like asking whether brown shit is worse than yellow shit.
My exact conundrum. :lol:
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Darth Rawkus wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm
Fuck it, Gomez.
I’m still not sure, mostly because I think The Timeless Children is even shittier than both Death in Heaven and The Magician’s Apprentice. And he’s also fucking awful in it. But it’s difficult to settle on Dhawan given how laughably bad Missy’s characterisation and overall portrayal was.