What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

I'm revisiting Miami Vice. Just sat and down watched both parts of "Calderone's Return." Television at its absolute finest as far as I'm concerned.

In the first part Sonny Crockett finds himself on an eight man hit list and must lure out the assassin before he gets to him first. In the second part Sonny and his partner Tubbs head to an island in the Bahamas to apprehend and deport evil drug lord Esteban Calderone. Calderone had employed the assassin and previously ordered the killing of Tubbs' brother.

Both episodes feel like a movie. The production values are absolutely fantastic and there's a real sense of scope to both episodes. The first part is very tense and edgy while the second is more exotic and action packed.

The second part still has the coolest montage ever. It gets me pumped like nothing else:

Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

I'm currently working my way through the whole series of The Avengers. I recently finished the Cathy Gale ones and about a third of the way through the first B&W Emma Peel season.

I intend to do The New Avengers afterwards after slogging my way through the original series.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Just finished getting through the complete series of 'Homicide: Life on the Street' (and I watched the film on youtube to completely finish it off for good measure). Hadn't seen it in 20 years when my Kiwi flatmate introduced me to it while I was a student in Manchester. Tremendously consistent in quality, and while it's based on David Simon's book and they wangled carte blanche free rein away from the production company, there are still some links (I think at least!) that they made to previous ground-breaking cop show 'Hill Street Blues' like John Munch, essentially a liberal conspiracy-theory interested cookie, who is not dissimilar to Hill Street's Howard Hunter (who is the Republican supporting right wing equivalent). Also having a strong moral-minded Captain who gets shat on by the pencil pushing politicos upstairs, goes across both shows (Daniel J Travanti's excellent Furillo in HSB and the superb Yaphet Kotto as Giardello in Homicide). Great stuff, well written, great direction and camera work, and well worth a watch, including for great guest casting including Robin Williams, Chris Rock and Steve Buscemi...
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
Biroc the Tharil
Reactions:

Post by Biroc the Tharil »

Now spinning: 'The Shout' a film based on Robert Graves's short story of the same name. Excellent version (a little different from the original due to the 70s setting) and Alan Bates is great here. John Hurt not to shoddy either (actually he's great too)...the shift from story to film of turning Hurt's character into an experimental electronic composer of the 70s adds personal spice for me haha...well worth a look if you haven't seen it - and indeed the original story is worth a read, I'm a big Graves fan...
'Believe nothing they say - they're not Biroc's kind.'
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Rewatched the first season of Person of Interest. Second half is better than the first as the running plots and background mythology start getting built up and filled in.
Brian
Reactions:

Post by Brian »

Robocop: The Prime Directives. An short lived Canadian spin off series from 2001. Pretty ''by the numbers'' stuff for the most part. Not as fun as the 94 series but still a nice return to the dark satire of the original.
Brian
Reactions:

Post by Brian »

Finished Season 4 of The Simpsons and about to start Season 5. I started from the beginning last October and planned on going up to Season 10 yet it kept getting delayed or put aside, Only last Wednesday I decided to start 4 after finishing 3 in late November/early December. 5 remains my least favorite of the first 8 seasons/Golden Classic Age but hopefully I might've mellowed out towards it in hindsight.
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

Private Schulz. Great series, Ian Richardson gives another predictably show stealing performance.

I do find it hard to sympathise with the main character though.I know he's meant to be a bit unsympathetic, but at times it feels like he is too much of a jokey guy for someone who is helping the Nazis. Still great series so far. I just finished the episode where he was dumped over London.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Amusing Who reference in a 91 episode of The Bill the other day. Reg and Datta get run over trying to arrest a pensioner with a motorised wheelchair! :lol: He later protests to Sgt Peters that he's the one in the wheelchair, to which Peters responds "That doesn't give you the right to behave like a Dalek!" :lol:
Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

I was watching Season one of Miami Vice, but I cheated a little tonight and put on my favourite episode "Death and the Lady" from the fourth season.

Detective Sonny Crockett attempts to prove that a murder in an erotic film was actually real and comes face to face with the film's slimy director. What sick secret is he hiding and why does Sonny still suspect foul play even after the actress and her body double are found to be alive and well?

This is my favourite episode of any television show. I even prefer it to Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric. It is such a twisted masterpiece. The show has always been appealing in terms of its visuals and music, but nothing beats the gorgeous neon look combined with Jan Hammer's haunting music in this one. I feel the episode is underrated enormously by IMDB. An 8 is obviously good, but it should really be closer to a 9 at least.