NuWho’s Magic Wand... I mean Sonic Screwdriver

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

NuWho’s Magic Wand... I mean Sonic Screwdriver

Post by The Sevenfold Man »

I don’t know if this has been talked about much here befor, though I’m shore it has, but this thing has gotten bloody ridiculous during the fake fanfic shows time.

In the classic show it’s was only often used by the Third and Fourth Doctor’s, in fact I’ve heard that in Tom’s run he used it almost 50 times. This is what would lead to its eventual removal during Davison’s run as it was believed to be too much of a crutch for the writers.

Then I find out that during 11’s run it was used over 350 times, with 10 not far behind. Not shore about 12 or 13 but on the few 12 episodes I did watch I can recall him still pulling it out regularly.

On that note it’s also a symbol of NuWho’s lowbrow humour as it’s regularly used to make dick jokes, mainly dick measuring ones. If you ever wanted proof that nuwho had a misanthropic agenda from the get go here’s one of a lot of examples, because yes we men walk around all day comparing penis sizes and are not thinking, nuanced human beings. That said am I the only one who thinks Jodie’s one looks like a stylised sex toy?

Then there’s the ridiculous level of crap this thing can do now, from shooting lasers to running diagnostic scans to dealing with flying shark (wtf), that the term magic wand his highly appropriate. The funny side is when nuwho fans try to defend it says things like “it doesn’t always get used to save the day” or “you’d expect a alien from an advanced race to use advanced tech” When both statements cancel eachother out. Why make this thing capable of doing so much if the writer is then choosing NOT to use it? A deus ex machina is no less of one just because the author arbitrarily decides not use it, in fact it makes the bloody thing stick out even more by making us ask the question “why doesn’t he use it?”
Burunman
Reactions:

Re: NuWho’s Magic Wand... I mean Sonic Screwdriver

Post by Burunman »

The Sevenfold Man wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am
I don’t know if this has been talked about much here befor, though I’m shore it has, but this thing has gotten bloody ridiculous during the fake fanfic shows time.

In the classic show it’s was only often used by the Third and Fourth Doctor’s, in fact I’ve heard that in Tom’s run he used it almost 50 times. This is what would lead to its eventual removal during Davison’s run as it was believed to be too much of a crutch for the writers.

Then I find out that during 11’s run it was used over 350 times, with 10 not far behind. Not shore about 12 or 13 but on the few 12 episodes I did watch I can recall him still pulling it out regularly.

On that note it’s also a symbol of NuWho’s lowbrow humour as it’s regularly used to make dick jokes, mainly dick measuring ones. If you ever wanted proof that nuwho had a misanthropic agenda from the get go here’s one of a lot of examples, because yes we men walk around all day comparing penis sizes and are not thinking, nuanced human beings. That said am I the only one who thinks Jodie’s one looks like a stylised sex toy?

Then there’s the ridiculous level of crap this thing can do now, from shooting lasers to running diagnostic scans to dealing with flying shark (wtf), that the term magic wand his highly appropriate. The funny side is when nuwho fans try to defend it says things like “it doesn’t always get used to save the day” or “you’d expect a alien from an advanced race to use advanced tech” When both statements cancel eachother out. Why make this thing capable of doing so much if the writer is then choosing NOT to use it? A deus ex machina is no less of one just because the author arbitrarily decides not use it, in fact it makes the bloody thing stick out even more by making us ask the question “why doesn’t he use it?”
All very true.

I think part of why they became so dependent on the screwdriver was because they stopped the Doctor doing any fighting or using guns.

When you watch Classic Who you can see that the Doctor actually uses his fists or some kind of blunt instrument a fair amount of times. That's not to say he's an action hero like say Angel or Xena. (Apart from in Pertwee's time and even then I wouldn't call Pertwee a straight up action hero either.)

He still generally uses his mind to solve problems, but now and again even a hero like that will have to be able to defend himself. Sherlock Holmes regularly got into fist fights, carried guns if need be and the Doctor is no different.

Even William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton got into a few scraps, like Hartnell beating up the Roman assassin, fighting his robot double with a cane, knocking out the Viking, the Voord and the Roboman with his stick, beating up the Monk and locking him in a tomb, knocking the gun out of the Drahvins hand with his stick, whilst Troughton thumped the Yeti's arms, kicked a Dalek over a cliff, threw chemicals in an Ice Warriors face and knocked him to the ground, forced an Ice Warrior to shoot another, and beat off a Cyberman with a crowbar.

The New Who Doctors meanwhile hardly ever use violence like that. I'm not sure if that's just because the Fitzroy clique don't know anything about the character and assume he never uses violence, or if it's a holdover from Mary Whitehouse and they were afraid her modern counterparts would give them a hard time (or a bit of both.)

Whatever the case the modern Doctors almost never use guns or their fists and so the screwdriver has now had to do everything.
ImageImage
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

Oh about the dick jokes I also don't think that was misandry. I can see why you'd say that, but I think it's actually just Moffat's immaturity. That to me is how he actually thinks. This is a man who went on about shagging his way through the office like a mechanical digger. To me he just has a very immature attitude about sex. Not saying he is a misogynist, but I think his immaturity was why it was so easy for the feminists and sjws to guilt trip him into being their little lackey.
ImageImage
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Burunman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 am
Oh about the dick jokes I also don't think that was misandry. I can see why you'd say that, but I think it's actually just Moffat's immaturity. That to me is how he actually thinks. This is a man who went on about shagging his way through the office like a mechanical digger. To me he just has a very immature attitude about sex. Not saying he is a misogynist, but I think his immaturity was why it was so easy for the feminists and sjws to guilt trip him into being their little lackey.
That’s just as bad or worse. Be he a misogynist or not, acting like a pig and writing that kind of stuff into the show just makes us all look bad.

Hell its been an ongoing problem in a lot of works, especially comedy, to depict men as lumbering, low brow, Neanderthals.
Burunman
Reactions:

Post by Burunman »

The Sevenfold Man wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 pm
Burunman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 am
That’s just as bad or worse. Be he a misogynist or not, acting like a pig and writing that kind of stuff into the show just makes us all look bad.

Hell its been an ongoing problem in a lot of works, especially comedy, to depict men as lumbering, low brow, Neanderthals.
Exactly. His era of DW is chalk full of shit like that though as is his earlier work like Coupling. He can't keep it out of his pants. Irene Adler wanting to throw Sherlock over the table and "ravage" him, River boasting about having bondagey sex with the Doctor "I'm a screamer," "handcuffs must it always come down to this." Then there is his having the Doctor boast about the bad girls he's slept with, slapping Clara on the arse and making jokes about "that's how I pick up girls."

It's why his later work reeks of embarrassing overcompensation when it comes to feminist pandering.

That's the thing about the Claudia Boleyn's and how they are like Mary Whitehouse though. They both do have some valid complaints. Moffat's handling of his female characters and his sense of humour was crass, and who knows maybe some aspects of the Hinchcliff era were too violent and frightening for kids. (I was terrified of a lot of the Hinchcliff era growing up, and I was a 90s baby who was used to far more violence on tv than kids in the 70s. I know True Who wasn't a kids show, but it was still a family show and therefore couldn't be as violent as say Buffy or Angel that were solely adult shows.)

Both Mary Whitehouse and Claudia Boleyn however completely destroy any valid points they have by going to far and accusing the show of encouraging little kids to murder or sexually assault (in Claudia's case) and accusing the makers of being bad people, misogynists, promoters of rape culture. To be fair though ironically you could say the same thing about Bowlestrek and calling Jodie "Doctor Nasty." though I don't think he is as bad as the Claudia types though. At least not yet.
ImageImage
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

The Sevenfold Man wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am
That reminds me of one of those much fabled white dog turds you often used to see in the 70's deposited by a tree,
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Pepsi Maxil
Reactions:

Post by Pepsi Maxil »

NuWho's sonic is essentially a get out jail free card. NuWho's version of the character has no brains to use to get out of a tight spot hence the overuse of the screwdriver to fix the issue. Lazy writing if you ask me.

"If mediocrity were fattening, you'd all be whales"
The Sevenfold Man
Reactions:

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 pm
NuWho's sonic is essentially a get out jail free card. NuWho's version of the character has no brains to use to get out of a tight spot hence the overuse of the screwdriver to fix the issue. Lazy writing if you ask me.
Thats another point that erks me so much with this show these days. The Doctor just isn't intelligent anymore. Its a problem I see with other smart characters being written by no so smart writers. Let me give you and example in two stories I just watched, two episodes from an era Mofftwat, the smug prick, hates. The 60s.

In the both the Moonbase and the Macra Terror we actually see the doctor work out was going on and figure out how to beat his foes. He watch him examine sick people, not just shine a fucking light over them, but actually do tests to deduce what may be wrong. He then comes to the conclusion, based on the odd symptoms and spread of the disease, that it must be in the sugar. To beat the Cybermen with piece of equipment that has been a key part of the whole story, the Gravitron, after seeing it used by the Cybermen for a similur purpose. No made up, out of nowhere, dues ex machina writing needed. In the Macra Terror the Doctor, from the moment he is in the colony, is actively investigation whats going one.

In part I blame the shows one episode format, in their desperate attempt to keep the low denominators amused by jingling keys in found of them... I mean more fast paced story telling, they lose the ability to tell even a moderately intelligent story. What the more idiotic nuwho fans call filler in the classic show, is actually time spent developing a good narrative. And it's not like there's not a market for more serialised stories, what the hell was Game of Throwns if not that? (Never watched it but I got the guist). What are all these series and season Netflix, Prime, HBO etc keep pumping out if not this?

Like it's Doctor, NuWho is to scared to change it's formula. They won't let the character change or grow, to be something other the Tennent, and they won't drop the formula that Fathead started. Short, stupide stories with a tacked on arc that is resolved in a short and stupide way with no actually affect on the story onwards is just a lethal to Doctor Who as the three pricks whove been in charge of it all this time.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

That's what I've always found so ironic about New Poo. 99% of modern TV drama is serialised, yet the show that was a series of serials thinks that's too hard for modern audiences to follow.
Truly, headscratchingly bizarre.
Genkimonk
Reactions:

Post by Genkimonk »

To be fair, New Who audience is made up of the dumbest dreggs of society. Can you honestly think anyone who likes New is an intellectual or someone who has an attention span higher than a goldfish?

Regarding the sonic screwdriver, I think Bidmead said it best. What is the point of locking the Doctor up when he can get out in a nano second with the wave of his phalic wand? If you lock him up, it needs to be a scene.

It shows that New Who is full of useless padding, and that they can't write drama to save their lives.
The Hive Motto: 𝔓𝔦𝔠𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔞𝔰, 𝔞𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔲𝔪𝔮𝔲𝔞𝔪 𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔢 𝔣𝔞𝔠𝔱𝔲𝔪 𝔢𝔰𝔱
Clips, or it never happened.